New or Grandpa

BigandRichman

Nov 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this on the main board and didn't have much luck. It was suggested I post it here

I'm a newbie. Been browsing the forum for several days looking for advice. I've never detected before. Decided to start. I face the following decision (which I am seeking your thoughtful input on): knowing I am seeking/looking for old US coins on dirt in the Midwest, am I better off purchasing a new ACE 250 or purchasing a Teknetics Delta 4000 from grandpa. Grandpa purchased it last year and drives a hard bargin. Consequently, either purchase would cost about the same. Your help much appreciated.

cyerby

Greenie
Dec 3, 2010
kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for a couple of years now. I started with the ACE250 and it is a decent starter. I found many clad coins, a silver or two and plenty of rings including some gold. It didn’t take long though, and I was ready for an upgrade. I really wanted better audio and numeric target ID. If at all possible, I would recommend the AT PRO. You can leave it in standard mode and it will act much like the ACE250. When you are ready, you can switch over to pro mode to get even more info from the detector. Plus, it’s water proof to 10 feet so you have no worries in the rain and snow or even in the lake. Call American detector distributors and tell them craig Yerby sent you. He is a great guy and will hook you up no matter which unit you choose.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The two machines are pretty comparable in price and performance. If you buy Grandpa's I do not think you get his warranty anymore.

So if the cost is identical, I'd get a new Ace 250.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
The two machines are pretty comparable in price and performance. If you buy Grandpa's I do not think you get his warranty anymore.

So if the cost is identical, I'd get a new Ace 250.
Smudge is right about the warranty not being transfered to you. I would also suggest the Ace 250 for a first detector if you think you'd like a screen. It is a decent detector which will give you lots of targets.

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 250 is a clad magnet but only found a few older coins with it. Don't know much about Teknetics, never used one. If you do start detecting and really get into it you most likely will like to upgrade sooner then you would think. Here are a few things to think about with the ace 250. It really doesn't discriminate that well, sometimes this is a good thing...sometimes not. The target recovery speed is a little slow and that's why good items will sometimes be missed but found with another detector. Last thing is interference, you can't change frequencies with it. You can turn down the sensitivity but this doesn't always help. Not trying to knock this detector, still have mine and just want you to know the bad things about it as you probably already know about the good. Used mine for about 2 years before upgrading and did find some cool things with it. Might be a better for relics then coins ?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Ace 250 will find silver, but you have to go where the silver is. Have a friend that uses one and he finds lots.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for an "in ground" test report that covered F2 V 4000 v Ace 250 on U.S, coins but can't find it. Result was that the 4000 did best, then F2 and the Ace which is the far older machine, came third.

For me there's no question that I would get the Teknetics because of the fast recovery speed, perfect pinpointing and the very wide discrimination range through iron and foil. On the other hand where you live has to come into it because a couple of people in the N.W. United States both didn't think they were getting the depth others were.

At least Grandpa will let you try it won't he ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread