New page for website. What do you think?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For the the past few months my buddy and fellow Treasureneter (aztreasures) has been helping fix my website that was a mess thanks to the amateur I paid to build. Aztreasures is a professional and is currently working with Minelab on some of their stuff. Here is a page of our site coming soon. I think it's great. :headbang: What are your opinions?

Here's Aztreasures profile .

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=profile;u=54791

And his work!

http://www.sitegiant.net/

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks good and very professional Mike.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks great, I was wondering about your new avatar!!! now I know HH chug

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks very nice, but "looks" are about 1/2 the game. The other 1/2 is how it performs in the engines.
What sort of SEO work has been done? Until there's a hot URL that goes right to the site in question and I can see the source code, I can't offer any opinion, but I do see some pretty graphical buttons containing critical search terms that a crawler probably won't be able to see, which is a very, very common error made by website designers who are otherwise oblivious to SEO.

It appears to be very graphics intensive and content light, which is popular amongst 'designers' but not always the right way from an eBusiness perspective. Keyword stuffing the tags doesn't compensate for a lack of text based mainpage content.

aztreasure

Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
Thanks, I appreciate the comments...all valid concerns, but as you said, if you could see the page source, they would likely be alleviated.
LSMorgan said:
I do see some pretty graphical buttons containing critical search terms that a crawler probably won't be able to see, which is a very, very common error made by website designers who are otherwise oblivious to SEO.
This screenshot depicts only the top portion of the home page. The navigational text that appears to be graphics is actually text rendered using the Cufon JavaScript library...thus, this text appears "pretty" to a website visitor, but renders as text to a search engine, or visitor with JavaScript disabled. As is very common these days, more license is taken on the home page to utilize graphical elements. It is a choice I made to draw the attention of the visitor on the home page, which I believe is offset by the quality content contained elsewhere on that particular file.
It appears to be very graphics intensive and content light, which is popular amongst 'designers' but not always the right way from an eBusiness perspective.
From the small sample depicted, I agree, as it does not show the additional content on the page, nor provide indication that some visual effects were enhancements to sourced text using JavaScript. I would likely make the same observations if I were in your shoes. Trust me, I am not a 'designer', and am not 'oblivious to SEO'.

Cheers,

Thomas

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Nice, EZ on the eyes site. It's not to "busy" like many other sites. Clean, clutter free design, well done. :icon_thumleft:

(Mike, might need to haul you and your rug cleaner up here. :coffee2: )

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it as it is to the point and an eye grabber. :thumbsup:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
aztreasure said:
This screenshot depicts only the top portion of the home page. The navigational text that appears to be graphics is actually text rendered using the Cufon JavaScript library...thus, this text appears "pretty" to a website visitor, but renders as text to a search engine, or visitor with JavaScript disabled. As is very common these days, more license is taken on the home page to utilize graphical elements. It is a choice I made to draw the attention of the visitor on the home page, which I believe is offset by the quality content contained elsewhere on that particular file.
From the small sample depicted, I agree, as it does not show the additional content on the page, nor provide indication that some visual effects were enhancements to sourced text using JavaScript. I would likely make the same observations if I were in your shoes. Trust me, I am not a 'designer', and am not 'oblivious to SEO'.

Cheers,

Thomas

Yeah, sounds like you know how to handle this. 4-H probably got the right guy.

As you are undoubtedly all too aware of, an INSANE number of 'designers' do not render an adequate product for eCommerce, largely because 99% of their small-business customers have no idea what they're buying (and only in time, will they figure out what they really want). Some terrible SEO practices are par for the course with certain "professionals" (that word used in the loosest possible manner). Here in the year 2010 going into 2011, I still regularly encounter eCommerce sites where most of the critical mainpage keyword content is graphical (Not Cufoned) and completely invisible to G crawlers. It just baffles the mind that so many people are still doing this.

Your aesthetic looks great. I do completely agree that the lander should emphasize a clean user experience, as long as the keyword content for SE purposes is accounted for in other areas, once they start clicking through. Is there a user-friendly CMS so he can manage his inventory, or whatever?

aztreasure

Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
Thanks again for the feedback!

LSMorgan said:
Is there a user-friendly CMS so he can manage his inventory, or whatever?

Yes, exactly...I want 4-H to be able to manage all aspects of his business from one place.

Cheers,

Thomas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread