pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out late yesterday to hunt, to the clear the head type therapy. Got to the site, no detector, back home again thankful that the new site is only a couple of miles away. Got in less than a hour it's already pretty dark and a truck rolls up behind mine. The driver gets out and shines a spot lamp on mine as he's walking up to it, that's when I said "HELLO!"from the field. Spot light lit me up! Turns out it's a conservation officer, and he checks me & the truck for guns. He was cool about everything and said he might get his wife a detector for Xmas as she has the passion for dump digging.
So one 1920 penny a couple of relics, a curved handle?.
Today it was raining off and on, and a little over a hour I confirmed that the home site was there, found the well also, even had signals in the hole, but didn't dig them today, got some old glass out each hole it seemed, a pewter pot spout, and the biggest bell part, this crotal bell half measures 70+mm across!

Then a high tone no mistaking it's going to be something signal and it's the prettiest silver rosette with the leather backing attached, not too old but it made the hunt.
The second bent spoon from the top is Durham Silver plate 1874 lily pattern
The site is mowed right down from grazing with a few old meadow muffins, a walk in the park type of hunting. 6" of soft sod then all sand. The only problem it seems with the site is the iron and sq. nails are on top of everything else, so it's a iron tone type of digging.
IMG_20151119_151259334.jpg IMG_20151119_140004149.jpg IMG_20151119_174500840.jpg
IMG_20151119_135910135.jpg IMG_20151119_135938583_HDR.jpg IMG_20151119_174425360.jpg
IMG_20151119_202538875.jpg IMG_20151119_202558576.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old blue and white dinnerware sure is nice to see on a site, isn't it? I have to agree the rosette is as pretty as any posted for quite a bit.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That rosette sure jumps off the page!
You're a lucky fella to be detecting this time of year( we all are)
Get back there and pull a good coin or two while you can

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a super sweet rosette!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful Rosette!:notworthy:
Thanks Doc

The old blue and white dinnerware sure is nice to see on a site, isn't it? I have to agree the rosette is as pretty as any posted for quite a bit.

Thank You Old Dude

It sure is nice to see and it seemed like every shovel full produced glass, deeper it was the older it looked. The Rosette is the keeper of the hunt, got it and left as I had just sneaked in the hunt between chores.:whip2:

That rosette sure jumps off the page!
You're a lucky fella to be detecting this time of year( we all are)
Get back there and pull a good coin or two while you can

Thanks ironhorse
With the little I got out last year it was the first week of the new year, looks like we're still good for a week or more here and that might give me time to sniff a good coin out of the site. Being all sandy the coin will be in fine shape I'm hoping, I can smell them it's got to be hit for a good hunt.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some days there are more relics than coins. I swear I have dug the relatives of all your finds except for that rosette.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man that's a super sweet rosette!

Thanks JC

It's the nicest one I've ever dug up, it'll get a special spot to display this one.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well what I can say is that pottery is a dead giveaway with its orange peel finish. So I would say with the English Salt glazed stoneware dates from 1650-1750. So yes, that site is REALLY STARTING TO LOOK GOOD!!

Hit that place hard and fast! Good luck buddy!

Steve

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some days there are more relics than coins. I swear I have dug the relatives of all your finds except for that rosette.

Thanks for the reply LD

Most of everything came with a rusty relative at this site, fun digging as it's like digging at a lawn covered beach. :)

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Bet there lots more goodies waiting for you there.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj , Nice finds , but I'm a bit disturbed that a conservation officer can get up in your business about guns ?? I have no knowledge of
your gun laws in Canada - help me understand this .

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well what I can say is that pottery is a dead giveaway with its orange peel finish. So I would say with the English Salt glazed stoneware dates from 1650-1750. So yes, that site is REALLY STARTING TO LOOK GOOD!!

Hit that place hard and fast! Good luck buddy!

Steve

Thank you Scrappy
I figured the pottery and stoneware was getting into the date range that I'd like to see but I never thought it'd date that early. I'd love to just dig the whole site and sift as it's like a beach under the grass.

Very nice. Bet there lots more goodies waiting for you there.

Thank you Showtime
That's what I'm hoping for also a few more goodies.

That site has a lot of potential, pretty silver rosette,
Congrats on a nice hunt.

Thanks Wind
I'm hoping it will produce the type of finds that will get the juice flowing

pepperj , Nice finds , but I'm a bit disturbed that a conservation officer can get up in your business about guns ?? I have no knowledge of
your gun laws in Canada - help me understand this .

Thanks Argentium
No problem in answering your query
Hunting season just ended up here and Bambi can relax for another year, but even though it ended some folks like to push the laws and sneak in a hunt. These guys go out of their way to cover huge areas of land to try to protect conservation, and this gives them a right to look into the vehicle for firearms. If I had one i would have to produce a permit to carry/own a long barrel gun, and a hunting licence. I have no problem with this nor do most folks as we know that they're doing a great job out there in the wilds.

Nice finds, looks like a good spot best of luck to yah....

Thanks park pirate

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver rosette sure caught my eye quick enough...Beautiful relic! Congrats and I'm sure you'll have more goodies posted before too long...

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The silver rosette sure caught my eye quick enough...Beautiful relic! Congrats and I'm sure you'll have more goodies posted before too long...

Thanks Patriot

It was kind of cool the sun popped out as I dug it up and it caught my eye quick, so I took a picture as it was the first worthy find from the site. It was just at the base of the roots of the sod so it's been there for a bit of time.

IMG_20151119_135851008.jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That site definitely looks like it's going to be productive for you Jim, I just love this rosette! :occasion14:
Those are some large pottery and china frags too, looks like the plows haven't been too active here either.
Love this view from your backyard too!

Looking forward to us getting together on Thursday, :thumbsup:
Dave

Attachments

• Rosette-crop.jpg
    Rosette-crop.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Jim's Place 001.jpg
    Jim's Place 001.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That site definitely looks like it's going to be productive for you Jim, I just love this rosette! :occasion14:
Those are some large pottery and china frags too, looks like the plows haven't been too active here either.
Love this view from your backyard too!

Looking forward to us getting together on Thursday, :thumbsup:
Dave

Thanks Dave

We'll have a few options for the hunting, if the crops are off it's a easy one, if not it's going to be new sites one the new permission by the Station. What fun would that be, when we could hit already hard hit sites.:laughing7:

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the looks of that rosette coming out of the ground and the dinner plate shards, look out! Great items should be coming your way! Best to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread