Greenie
Sep 27, 2014
West By Gawd Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello TreasureNetters....

Got started MD'ing in circa 1983, 6th Grade. Was a Civil War nut back then and bugged my dad enough to buy a BH model and take me to Gettysburg. Exercise in utility as no research was conducted, just drove to a farm, got permission, and went looking.

Here I am 31 years later and still get the bug to go with my BH Tracker IV. Is this an every week, month, or even yearly hobby? No. Life gets in the way. Soccer practices nightly, 40 hour work weeks, a small fledgling woodworking side business.

But I do have a very inquisitive 10 year old son. And the very town I live in was visited in 1863 by General Grumble Jones, CSA who arrived here in ill humor about WV secession from VA with 2000 cavalry. We went to the bridge which he fought across and spent an hour. Father and son. Was a great time. Did we find anything? Yeah...$.11, a washer, and some iron objects Im not sure of, but are still cool. One does resemble the hammer/percussion cap fixture of an old musket although Im sure its not (havent cleaned it up yet). So much so, my son said it looked like it without me saying a word, but thinking it. Think that was about 3" down.

Anyways, been lurking and reading all I can on here about the BH T IV, so a big thank you to all who has posted ideal setting configurations.

My question, and Im a very practical/how-to type, is asking permission on public and private lands? Ive noticed several abandoned homes that became landlocked when the Interstate was opened. Beside them sits a modern, well kept home. So I assume the older homes are a part of their estates. To be honest, i think I would flatly deny anyone who knocked on my door asking permission if i wasnt aware of how wonderful this hobby is. For those of you out there, is this a matter of a coworker's brother's neighbor's cousin so you gain permission that way? Or do you simply stop cold and ask a stranger their permission on their porch? Ask on Facebook?

How about abandoned schools (i have at least two in town) and are posted as No trespassing. Do you call your BOE. Without asking permission before, I try to avoid as I assume it's not going to work in my favor with this day and age of tort/liability.

Just curious, and sorry about writing a book. :) I like to ask questions to which 97% of them are silly to most but confounding to me.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: West Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the club ... :hello: