What's new

New property with new firsts

Alchemist

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
364
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
0
Location
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, after fishing my share of local parks, I was itching to find somewhere new to cast my hopes. A friend of mine told me about his mothers place in a nearby small town and the home was pretty old (20's or 30's...the mother was not quite sure). After digging a seemingly endless string of wheats without much else than clad and scrap metal items, I finally started hitting some older IH's. One such IH had an odd thickness to it. At first I wasn't sure what the deal was with that, but researching I found that Indian heads were minted much thicker around the civil war time period. After cleaning it up I got the date: 1862. By far the oldest IH in my collection and beating my other oldest coin (a '77 seated quarter) by 15 years. Absolutely thrilled!
Among all the wheats I un-earthed, one such dig produced five wheats in one hole: a first for me. One after another they came out. Cool. I was still perplexed, however, at the lack of silver on the property. That changed one day after a good soaking rain (note to moderators: yes, it took me some time to detect this site...not technically "Today's" finds, but the last several days. I felt it better to sum up my finds as opposed to piece meal my entries). In one hole, I manged to pull 3 silver Merc's: my first 3 silver hole ever. Just fantastic. Overall, a good first round at this site and hopefully something more in the future. Happy hunting to you all!

DSC07080.webpDSC07085.webpDSC07078.webp
 
Upvote 20
Congrats on the nice permission and those 3 mercs. I'd hit that property in 2 grid directions. How deep was the deepest coin?
 
Congrats on the nice permission and those 3 mercs. I'd hit that property in 2 grid directions. How deep was the deepest coin?

Thanks. Deepest I'd say about 6-8". I gridded most of the property north-south. It's pretty dry here in Wisconsin and I think I'll wait until fall to dig again for the sake of the grass.
 
Nice hall..... Getting permission is going to be the way to go because the parks are getting really worked over here. Again great finds keep the post coming, nice to see that others are finding good stuff.....
 
Great day! Those Mercs and IH's are nice!
 
Beauty of a hunt Al!

Steve
 
Congrats on the Mercs and the fat IH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom