New Roll hunter Scores

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Wow... grats on your early score!

That is what we call a bunch of DREAM ROLLS! A rare and insanely good find.

Hope your luck continues!

~Dave

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly......great pickup!! I wish that ratio was common these days but.................

Good work PL and good luck on the next hunt....keep us posted. You may be in virgin territory. Buy every roll you can get your paws on.

BTW - If you need some help getting that hook out of your lip.........let me know.........j/k.

OP
OP
pegleg

pegleg

Aug 9, 2008
Hell's Cotton Field- NC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hey All,

I made a mistake on the count yesterday. I found a bicentennial proof as well. It looked silver but I just wasn’t sure because the dates didn’t look right. At first I thought it was counterfeit, I didn’t know the S coins were 40%. Is this a common occurrence???

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
First off, congrats on the silver bi. proof! Not the easiest of finds!

All Proofs come with a mint mark of "S", which you seem to already know. In 1976, there was a Clad S proof and a Silver S proof. 7 million clad were made and only 4 million silver ones. You have one of the silver ones.

There have been proofs marked with an S for kennedy halves all the way back to 1968, when the halves themselves were still 40% silver. From 68-70 is naturally silver, since the non proof version was 40% silver itself. AFTER 1970 though, the next silver half was the one you found... the 1976, and that was only a special edition one. The next silver S proof after the bi. that YOU found is the 1992 S. In 1992, the mint starting making a Clad S proof AND a Silver S proof. Much like they did in 1976 with the bi.

So, if you find an S proof from 68-70, 76-bi., or 92 onward through 08, you have a shot at having silver in the coin.

Hope that helps.

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread