May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad & I started on one of our fav Roman Sites but after 1 hour over the best area with a zero result we released that our 4 best sites on this farm are a no go this year. We did them well last year & they are not ploughing & direct drilling into the stubble.:sadsmiley:

So we moved to a spot that Landmag & I had scouted on a new farm. I had got 1 Roman Coin & the Geological Maps showed soil that the ancients favoured, so I thought it a good spot. (plus the cropmarks were present)

Almost immediately we hit into the coins, game on, grid on, after 4 hours we had:

36 Roman Coins (some good album types)
Roman Key Handle
Roman Locking Pin Terminal
Romano-Celtic Ring (top of)
Hammered Charles I Halfgroat
Tiny Hammered Farthing Edward III
Buckles
Silver Roman Ring (bent up) - Needs declaring as Treasure:thumbsup:

So another new site confirmed & a pretty good start on it!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 129
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 13
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I always love checking out your posts! Congrats on the nicer Romans, but that Edward III farthing is wonderful! I had read a while back that despite decent mintages of silver farthings, up in the millions, few/none have been found in hoards and likewise relatively few have been detected because of their size. Does this sound about right? How many hammered silver farthings have you and your father found, and about how deep can they be resting for your machine to still be able to register the signals? Also, do you think the half groat was clipped, or just struck on a thicker planchet?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is only because I'm genuinely interested. Thanks for sharing your finds! :icon_thumleft:

Yes, until recent times the detectors were not sensitive enough to find them. Even now with one of the best detectors for small silver, I run a setting that is close to all metal. I hear everything & decide myself, I leave nothing to electronics.

I have just less than 10 examples (not sure Dads Cortes has found any), including one very rare one:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...re-zorro-mask-edward-iii-farthing-update.html

1.5 inches would be about the max in ploughed soil.

The halfgroat is clipped.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Roman Ring (bent up) - Needs declaring as Treasure
thumbsup.gif

CRUSADER im sure ive read why it needs declared,but i just cant remember
could you remind me,oh yea its silver right,great finds i enjoy your posts

Its over 300 years old & contains 10% silver (or gold) - not including single coins.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt you two had today, congrats on the new Roman site and the crisp looking roman coinage. The upper left coin that shows brownish looks different, almost like the horn crust that a silvers would get on them.

With so many Romans at a site wouldn't it be classified as a hoard, or would it just be a villa site or village?

Because 10 (I think, might be 8??) are not in close proximity. These are GPSed over a 1 acre area, which is normal habitation & not a split hoard.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always it is great fun to read and see your posts/finds, thank you for sharing! Do you think this site will require declaring and have the government archeologists finish the site? I would guess only if enough gold and silver starts to show up.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always it is great fun to read and see your posts/finds, thank you for sharing! Do you think this site will require declaring and have the government archeologists finish the site? I would guess only if enough gold and silver starts to show up.......................63bkpkr

Believe it or not, my analysation of this site so far is that its a minor homestead/farm house. The coins lost are like you losing a few 1 cent coins, nothing important. The key would be to a safe box, so they had some higher valued goods, of which the silver ring was 1. The ring will be recorded & I'm required by Law to give a 6 figure grid reference, well with the GPS, we already have an 8 figured reference, so they will know the area. It is highly unlikely that the Archies will ever look at a site like this. They don't have the time or the money or the interest in such a minor site. Thats where we come in.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

JimmeyC

Oct 15, 2012
N. Tonawanda, Amherst, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Ultra GTA 1000, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader... as always, Great Finds! Wish we had the history you do here in the US dirt!

Congrats!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You might call them scrappies, but I love those Roman coins. And congrats on the double silver!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might call them scrappies, but I love those Roman coins. And congrats on the double silver!

Yes, that double hammered is a hard fort battle this year, we are looking like getting 50% down on last year, so although I'm happy with our other results, it's not the glory in every camp we would hope for.:thumbsup:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the explanation Crusader, you da man! Looking forward to more of your great discoveries.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
got late to this post, but it looks like a great site, the silver denari its about to appear...maybe something better! congrats on finding another, yet, great site!
im just looking forward to see your next banner, and I think its on its way!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got late to this post, but it looks like a great site, the silver denari its about to appear...maybe something better! congrats on finding another, yet, great site!
im just looking forward to see your next banner, and I think its on its way!!

I know. We were thinking a denarius or more likely a Siliqua would turn up any moment. As we have done about 60% of the site, I still have my fingers crossed.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Romano-Celtic Ring ! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions