May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad & I spent 5 hours gridding about 2 acres of the newly discovered Roman Site.

We finally got the Roman silver we hoped for (although broken), & it happened in a funny way. We had nearly got to the edge of the coin scatter & I said 'looks like we are not getting that Roman Silver'! You know it, very next dig - bam. A short while later, I added an observation; 'no sestertius from this site' it wasn't the next dig but 1 or 2 after! Funny & weird!

Rose farthing
25 Roman Bronze Coins
Roman silver - Julia Domna
Silver Collar Stud
Bent Hammered of Edward I
Roman bronze ring
Medieval Spindal whorl (Lead)
Crotal Bell
Very nice 14/15th C openwork strapend for a sword belt - pretty high status & I only have 1 other similar which I found this year.

PS. Picture 1 is Dad's solo hunt yesterday for 5 hours on one of our 'hunted out' sites. A few scrappies & 1 nice album coin, plus his turn to get a Roman Silver Ring - well the top section (bezel).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 12

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never heard that story but it seems twisted by word of mouth. Love Tokens are bent in two different directions:
The Crooked Sixpence Love Token | John Winter
There are several theories about whether these we lost or thrown by the lady, but they were given by the man as a form of affection.

I think your story sounds more accurate than mine Cru. But it's strange that out of the first 8 coins I found at the hammered site 2 were bent at exactly a 90 deg angle, and another one appeared to have been bent but later straightened. If these were considered as love tokens, you'd think they'd only be found individually. Finding 3 in one small spot doesn't make sense. Any other ideas?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your story sounds more accurate than mine Cru. But it's strange that out of the first 8 coins I found at the hammered site 2 were bent at exactly a 90 deg angle, and another one appeared to have been bent but later straightened. If these were considered as love tokens, you'd think they'd only be found individually. Finding 3 in one small spot doesn't make sense. Any other ideas?

What I was trying to say, is that they were not Love Tokens as they are only bent in one direction. I assume the plough did it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt once again, a few real album pieces there for sure. Silver is starting to show it's self so maybe after a plow there will be more to be had.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What I was trying to say, is that they were not Love Tokens as they are only bent in one direction. I assume the plough did it.

I have a hard time believing the plough bent 2 coins found at the same spot at exactly a 90-deg angle. I'm sure they were purposely bent but not sure why since they don't seem to be related to love tokens. I'm still kicking myself for straightening them.

hammered1.jpg

Last edited:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Really nice hunt, pity the broken denarius!
Just like we said, silverware on the way!!! I love to be right!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread