Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of you may remember me...got a new Safari a few months ago...and hated it. Although I still ABSOLUTELY HATE the screen covering, it is proving to be a super powerful unit.

I made a lot of changes this season. I now use head phones. I am currrently detecting a HUGE area, that has a long history. I'm using, what I think, is a high(er) end detector. More importantly, I do better research. I have been digging targets that I've never seen before. I'm finding common relics like: shotgun shells, plow teeth, ax heads and trapper tags. More impressive is the coinage. I have a flying eagle, a II cent piece, 2 V nickels, barber dimes, buffalo's and Indian heads. I'm getting spoiled! I'm not sure I'd bend over and dig a wheatie right now (just kidding!).

This is where I eat crow: to all of you who told me FBS was completely different.....you WIN :hello2: Not all 12's are the same and a 36 is totally different. All I can say....the SOUND!

I was wrong...you were right. Thanks for keeping me focused!

Congrats on enjoying the safari. Happy to hear you got it set to your liking. Keep on finding the hidden treasures in the ground. Good luck.

Ahhh grasshopper, you seem to be learning well!!! Glad you are not disappointed ClodChopper! How are you dealing with all the chatter? Like I said in my previous posts to you, mine is noisy like crazy, and the noise sometimes makes me nuts, but it sure hits deep and hard on good targets. Hits deep on junk too, certain deep rusty nails still fool me, but if you have high mineral soil like I do that FBS doesn't care a bit. Are you liking it better than your F70? Just curious since I have never used a Fisher. Glad you drank the coolade and found it can be intoxicatingly fun. Sounds like you are finding really cool stuff. I can't believe you just got into headphones, they make all machines more efficient although there seem to be a lot of folks who haven't figures that out yet.

Glad you stuck it out. Welcome to the koolaid club!

Glad to hear that you didn't give up and stuck with it - its a great piece of equipment once you learn the language. :)

Learning the 'language' is really my aa-ha moment, especially in relic/all metal mode. My F70 has an unlimited tone set, but It's dependent on TID. Now... I really understand the difference between ferrous/conductive tones. I must say...how COOL!

I'm not experiencing a lot of chatter. I moved from urban detecting, to the deep woods. I get a little feed back, usually at the end of my swing, or if I bump into something. The headphones are making a huge difference, especially on small targets. I found a bullet, about 3-4" that gave solid feedback. I haven't measured it yet, but it looks smaller than a .22?

Do I like it better than my F70? Yes...but...Let's say the 70 still has a place in my world. If I went out (specially) coin shooting....she's a monster! I'm finding OLDER coins with the Safari, but I'm also hunting an area with a verifiable history of 120yrs or more. As Bart said, go SLOW! That is my weakness. The F70 is very fast. I can/do swing the Safari faster than it can react.

I really like pinpoint on the Safari. It's just as accurate as the F70, but gives additional feedback on target size and type. It's hard to put into words, until you use it.

I'm not convinced that FBS is the cats meow, but I'll admit, its far better than most. Time will tell, I have more learning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back