guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Watch out I'm getting n back in the water guys ,,, I ordered my Sandshark it will be here Thursday .. I'll let you all know how it works out ,,the quest is over for now ,,,,, I also up ed for the 10 inch coil.. comes with the 8 in'' . Hope I made the right choice . All the post and reviews were all positive that's why I went with it , I was sold on the tiger shark but they say it s not to stable in salt water ,, great for fresh... wish me luck guzz1

Upvote 0
I bought a Sand Shark last March and have had some good finds with it. I wish you much luck with it. :)

Good luck with it guzz, looking foward to your posts on it.

Thanks guys ... Guzz1

Hey Guzz1,
I think you made a great choice with the $$ you had to spend right now, you have the Sand Shark PI for in the water and the GT we all know is a killer in the wet sand. Great combo, Good Luck with it!
Glenn

Guzzi big time congrats to ya... cant wait to see all that glittery stuff your soooooooooo good at finding..

Hey bootybay hows that new md working for ya ??? hope all is good ,,,Guzzi

Hey Guzz, ya made the right choice!!!! There's nothing like a PI in water for depth and smaller gold targets! The things I've read about the Sand Shark are real good (hits on small gold and chains). Remember, you want to dig ALL in the deeper water because there's not much junk out there (PI machines work best in the water)!!! Another thing, with practice and ear training, YOU WILL learn what alot of junk sounds like and you'll dig less too!!!

I think you now have a KILLER combo with the Sov on the wet sand and shallow areas, and the PI for the water and surf!!! ;D

I do wish you luck with the new machine!!! ;)

Guzz,
Great idea on getting a SandShark. I really like mine. Be prepared to dig bobby pins at over a foot deep, but also be prepared to get more gold. The Shark is a terrific detector for salt water.
I am sure you are already thinking about hip mounting the control box. It is the way to go, especially with the 10 inch coil. It is pretty big and clunky with the big coil, but when you go to hip mount it is easy to swing the coil all day without getting tired out.
I have a SandShark and a TigerShark. I also had a Tesoro Piranha. I have hip mounted all three units in the same manner. There are other ways to do it, but this way works well for me.
Someone had seen a photo of my Piranha when I had it listed for sale on TN classifieds and PM'd me asking about the kind of bag I used for the control box. I made a post that covers the two types of bags I found that would work. I will post a photo of my Piranha and the post I made with mfg names and bar code numbers below just in case you haven't run across it. HH Highwater

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have ran across two different pouches that you can use for the tiger shark for hip mount. I have both a Tiger and a Sand Shark and have them both hip mounted, like I did the piranha. When you pick up your pouch be sure to get a 2 inch nylon web belt.
To keep the pouch from sliding around on the belt I drilled holes through both the bag and belt and used a plastic 'zip tie' front and rear along the belt. Otherwise the pouch will slide around with the weight of the control unit.
I also got a nylon key chain holder with a plastic clip on it which I put around the belt in front of the control unit and pinned it down. This is to snap a lanyard into. The lanyard is hooked around the end of the arm cuff. Make it just shorter than the coil wire going to your control box. This way when you find a target and want to use both hands on the scoop you can just drop the shaft beside you and the weight will be on the lanyard instead of the coil wire. I usually give myself about 32 inches of coil wire from where it leaves the rod and goes to the control unit. Make the lanyard apx 28 inches. On the end of the lanyard is a stainless (or plastic) ring that you can snap into the key chain holder on your belt.
I still have the tags for the pouches I bought. This is the information on the togs: The pouch you saw in the photo is from builders supply if I remember right. It is a "McGuire-Nicholas" model #856-128. The tag also has #1DM-039P. The bar code # 19374 96253. It is called "Single Pocket Pouch".
The two that I have my other water units in are "AWP" "Poly Pouch" model # 263982. The bar code number is: 1937496226. I bought these at Lowes.
Go to your local builder supply company and go to the tool section. Look around at all the different pouches and belts they have. Nail pouches, ect. Some have more than one pocket, but I like the single pocket kind. With the belt you can also mount other pouches, cameras, ect. Be sure that all of this is nylon. Don't get leather because it will mold. You can purchase other nylon bags and pouches at wallmart to carry water, camera, ect.
You will have to cut holes in the bottom of the control box pouch. One for the coil connector and one to let the headphone cord hang down a ways so it won't kink. After you locate and cut the holes, shove the control unit down into the bag and thread the headphone wire down through the hole. Pull enough wire through the hole to let it hang kind of natural without a kink. Then it runs back up through the hole along side the control box and out the leading edge of the pouch. In other words, the headphone cable hangs down through the hole and makes a loop, then back up through the hole. If you don't make the holes too big the control unit sits just right in the bag. If you overdue the holes and make them too big the control unit will 'wallow' around a little and you may have to tie it into the bag somehow. I did great on one unit and got a little sloppy on the other so I use a long piece of Velcro to wrap around it to keep it tight in the bag.
Hope this helps you. Let me know how it works out for you. Ken Highwater

Attachments

• Piranha 1.jpg
    Piranha 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Piranha 2.jpg
    Piranha 2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 524
  • Piranha 1.jpg
    Piranha 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 512
  • Piranha 2.jpg
    Piranha 2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 505
Highwater I have that exact same pouch .I been using it for junk finds pull tabs and bottle caps , In fact my hunting partner MURPH gave it to me ,, I elected to go with the 10' in coil so i will have 2 coils the 8' as well. It will be here on Thurs the 13th (My birthday ;D ;D) can't wait to get back in the water. so it made a nice birthday present for me :D :D :D... I let you know how I do with it .Also should I epoxy the coil Like I did on my SOv GT or leave it be ??? Anyway Thanks a bunch for your help much appreciated.. Guzz1

Hey Highwater I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow to get that pouch and new belt .. I really Like your set up there . I think the sandShark weighs in at 4.5 pounds . If it doesn't balance out under the arm cuff, its gonna go on my hip . Thanks for the pics ,, huge help. GUZZ

I also bit the bullet on the SandShark. Got mine last week and really haven't put it to a true test yet but, it looks like its gona be good. JOe

Hey Joe I get mine on Thurs I'll be in the water Fri... Let me know how your doing with yours ,, I'll do the same ,,,, I worked the water last week down here with my excal with hardly got any target hits at all . I did get a nice nugget gold ring with diamonds but I would walk 300 feet before I WOULD HIT ON ANYTHING , so that's telling me that theres not much trash in the water down where I hunt . So I'm thinking the Sandshark will do just fine down here .. will see I'll keep ya posted . Guzz1

What about your BHID? You still got that? I would just use that untill you built up the cash and figured out what you wanted

Sold it to a guy out in CA, Also a fine detector... I like the challenge of learning a new detector anyway. If you stick to the top brands you don't lose that much when you sell them.. The most I have ever lost is 50.00 and I have had a lot of M detectors ,, My sov Gt I'll never get rid of , only to buy a new when it takes a dump.. I have found a lot fine tickets with it . By far the best hunter I'V ever owned.. Guzz1 ..

Sand shark Is on the UPS TRUCK on its way to the Suncoast ,,,,, and spring break is just starting . Dosn't get any better than that,,,,,,,,,,, Guzz1

Go get em guz!
Highwater, your just down the road from me. Now I know why the beaches are cleaned out. ;)

Guzz,
Try the control box mounted in both positions before you go to the hip mount so you will be able to appreciate the difference. I found the best mount for better balance was in the back. Trouble is that the control box would bump my hip too often when I was swinging the coil. In the forward mount it felt real klunky and out of rig. The same with the piranha. Also, in the photo of the piranha it doesn't show it with the pouch pinned down or the lanyard. You really need to have a lanyard that you can snap into and out of to keep the strain off the coil wire. If you try different length you will find that you can move the coil off to one side of the hole and just drop the shaft beside you when you dig if you want to use both hands on the scoop. If you are working very deep in the surf then it can get to be a problem to drop it, but you can always hang on to the shaft and dig one handed. It makes it quicker that way to check your hole for the target anyway.
I quit using a coil cover a long time ago and since I am pretty much in soft sand I haven't done any epoxy on the bottom of the coil, but if you are around any rocks or a lot of shell frags then you should give it the epoxy. It doesn't take much though. The 10 inch Shark coil is already pretty heavy so I won't do mine unless I start working an area that would scratch it up too much. I did have to send my original 10 inch in for replacement as it water logged with salt water and started giving me false signals. I could raise the coil in front of me and rock it back and forth and it would sound off. I bought another 10 inch while it was in for repair. The same thing happened to my 1280 several years ago. Fisher sent me a whole different unit. It wasn't tuned as good as the other one and I didn't think it was as sensitive so I sold it. They are a beast of a machine.

Dale,
I thought it was you that was getting the beaches around here picked over for all the good stuff. All I ask when you do that is to please take all the pull tabs and can slaw with you. You are leaving too much of it behind for me to find. And stop leaving all the bobby pins, sparkler wires and rusty bolts. All you guys can ever think about is all the coins and gold rings and you leave all the other stuff for me to find. That must be the way it is cause the last time I was out I found a truck load of trash, some rusty bolts and only 3 cents in change.
There really has been way too much sand cover to do any good. Heck, I have been waiting to hear from you guys up north when the hunting is getting good again. It does sound like there are a few prizes starting to show up. I guess I should go give it another try. HH to all... Highwater

guzz1 said:
Hey Joe I get mine on Thurs I'll be in the water Fri... Let me know how your doing with yours ,, I'll do the same ,,,, I worked the water last week down here with my excal with hardly got any target hits at all . I did get a nice nugget gold ring with diamonds but I would walk 300 feet before I WOULD HIT ON ANYTHING , so that's telling me that theres not much trash in the water down where I hunt . So I'm thinking the Sandshark will do just fine down here .. will see I'll keep ya posted . Guzz1

For sure guzz, also just got the AWP pouch and web belt today Ken. Now, just don't want to cut those holes too big......

The sandshark has landed,, UPS just left an hour ago .. put it together did an air test works great maiden voyage tomorrow . will see how she does ...Guzz1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back