Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to a house I thought I had thoroughly covered and rehit about half of it with my AT Max set in zero mode instead of coin mode.
Went along both sides of the sidewalk again four passes wide and found a 1920 and 1941 wheat pennys. 20180912_121040.jpg20180912_120913.jpg

Wow, I can`t believe I missed all this stuff, makes me think I left a LOT of stuff out there in the three months I have been detecting.

The ring is real heavy, I hope its not junk like every other one I`ve found this year.

Would the junk be a harmonica reed? 20180912_121040.jpg20180912_120913.jpg

Attachments

• 20180912_123950.jpg
    20180912_123950.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 20180910_084859.jpg
    20180910_084859.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Upvote 17
If permitted I grid a permission 3 times minimally, for example I will grid it north to south, then east to west, and then finally hit it at a 45 degree angle from either of my 1st 2 grids. just know that good targets can masked by trash when you grid i a direction, but by changing you angle of attack may allow some good targets become audible. Never think you've dug it all on the 1st grid, if you do you are leaving goodies for the next guy who detects that site, and you've already pulled much of the trash.

All I use is pro zero mode. I may go over it with two different machines and then I try n go two different directions. Otherwise I just return to the higlight areas that were productive with a different machine. I usually go over it with the AT pro first then the Safari with big coil or equinox 11". Or start 11" ad AT pro small coil if its thick with iron etc.

I'm with loco digger. If a spot was productive, hit it again from the other direction. My third sweep might be going around the perimeter, like the fence line.

On your ring, the pic is blurry. Is the inside of that ring dirty, or is that copper/dark brass I see poking through the gold plate? Is it marked inside? Did it hit mid tone or high? If it's plated brass it probably hit trashy high tone. If it hit a solid mid tone, around 60 and that dark stuff comes off the inside of the ring....

Nice second round! That odd piece doesn’t look like a harmonica reed to me, but possible something musical with tines????

Loco-Digger has it right! :icon_thumleft:

Dparson Thanks for the info I am still trying to figure something out and you added to some options to try .Nice lot of coins for the second time through

Glad to see the extra finds. Gridding is the way to go. Coins on edge won't detect one way but will from another angle. Good job and congrats.

Your junk find is an old comb. it had fine teeth on one side course teeth on the other side nice find.

If permitted I grid a permission 3 times minimally, for example I will grid it north to south, then east to west, and then finally hit it at a 45 degree angle from either of my 1st 2 grids. just know that good targets can masked by trash when you grid i a direction, but by changing you angle of attack may allow some good targets become audible. Never think you've dug it all on the 1st grid, if you do you are leaving goodies for the next guy who detects that site, and you've already pulled much of the trash.

Thanks Loco! Great advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back