What's new

new shelter finds

outlawatheart

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
815
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
DSC09733.webpwondering why these are so crude. are these paleo or mississippian?? I find both in this cave. Its the spot I found my clovis points in, also several nice fort ancient looking heads.
 
Upvote 0
the first point seems to have a flute both sides, I'll try to post a better pic.
View attachment 916261wondering why these are so crude. are these paleo or mississippian?? I find both in this cave. Its the spot I found my clovis points in, also several nice fort ancient looking heads.
 
Nice finds, it happens all the time for a shelter to be different time periods found in them:icon_thumleft:
 
Should be some stratification with the older points being deeper.
 
The cave has a small water source at the back that flows and has washed a small gravel stream out to the front and over the edge..so far that's all I have hunted. Being a bit cautious on any digging with it still being deer season here.
Should be some stratification with the older points being deeper.
 
Nice finds. I would be all over that area.
 
hi outlaw,nice finds but im thinking the rippled flute looks like when they knocked it off a chunck of flint it does not have the older look too it too me but i make no claims too being a expert,would of made me happy to find it though
 
Nice finds! I bet a lot more will come out of there
 
I often wonder if shelter digs reflect some of the local mtn flint. Most mtn rock shelters were just a seasonal place with other activities going on. Fascinating places to dig. I talked to a land owner yesterday about digging one.
Nice finds
 
THNX TN.. most of my shelter sites have abundant flint in the creeks which are near.
I often wonder if shelter digs reflect some of the local mtn flint. Most mtn rock shelters were just a seasonal place with other activities going on. Fascinating places to dig. I talked to a land owner yesterday about digging one.
Nice finds
 
I find it strange that the Mississippian period did make crude artifacts. You would think theirs would be better with the better ways of making the points. But its true I find many Mississippian artifacts that are crudely made. For a few yrs now I thought my finds were Archaic or earlier but now I believe they are M period. Nice examples OL.
 
I am not sure what we are looking at and can actually type them as Miss period. But Miss period churned out some beautiful work,Rock especially in your area with the mound builders. I think location is everything sometimes. Some areas and some groups struggled more than others. It was not always a level playing field. Kind of like today…Resources and numbers were everything.
 
I agree TN.... I have found several very well made little points in this shelter which are nearer the surface, deeper I go the cruder they seem to get
I am not sure what we are looking at and can actually type them as Miss period. But Miss period churned out some beautiful work,Rock especially in your area with the mound builders. I think location is everything sometimes. Some areas and some groups struggled more than others. It was not always a level playing field. Kind of like today…Resources and numbers were everything.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom