What's new

New spot morning hunt

GTK96

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2012
Messages
392
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, it was a pretty good day...crazy imported chert on the corner notch, too bad he's missin half the base...HH
 

Attachments

  • image-3861809466.webp
    image-3861809466.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2279743432.webp
    image-2279743432.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
Ryholite comes in many colors and is common in the Carolinas and Virginia.
 
Ryholite comes in many colors and is common in the Carolinas and Virginia.
I've found chips of it and seen many points made out of the stuff, it just feels harder and has different flake scars on it than rhyolite to me
 
ForumRunner_20140126_230608.webp



ForumRunner_20140126_230815.webp
I don't have any quite as red as yours but I've seen examples of it.
Some is much more glass like and silicate rich.
I could be wrong but personally I'm leaning towards it based on your location and the photo
 
I see the quartz in your piece like chert and jasper. I couldnt give you a complete answer on it. Viking is from VA and would probably know if he was online. Its very easy on the eyes is all I can say.
 
Here's one with a high silica content

ForumRunner_20140126_231254.webp



ForumRunner_20140126_231521.webp
 
I see the quartz in your piece like chert and jasper. I couldnt give you a complete answer on it. Viking is from VA and would probably know if he was online. Its very easy on the eyes is all I can say.
I agree, I'm just gonna call it neat and give it a spot in a frame
 
It is neat... so is this...

birdseye_rhyolite_1_large.webp

check out Birds Eye rhyolite
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom