What's new

New strategy for nickels today

Wes_

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Well, in light of the new fee on boxes at my regular branch (still don't know how much it is ::)), I decided hit a different branch that's only a few miles away but that I don't frequent. I asked for nickels and said I'd take a box if she had one, but I don't think she took it seriously. She didn't have any but got 10 rolls from the other two tellers that were working, for a total of 20. Seems like at an unfamiliar branch, they are always happy to round up coins. Order one box a week, and I get fees. Oh well. Another thing- several times I have asked for coins in an unfamiliar branch, and been asked if I had accounts there. I always say yes, because I do, but they never check!

From the $40 nickels I got 4 pre-'60: 1939, 1940, 1953-D, 1959-D.

I keep other stuff from the nickels but won't bother with posting those stats from now on unless someone is particularly interested. Pre-'60 seems to be the "keeper" standard around here.

Oh, and last of all- three of the rolls were machine rolled on one end and opened on the other. Can this be anything but another CRHer?
 
Upvote 0
Could be a bored teller, I ran into that last weekend and the teller told me they hunt they hun when they are slow ;) Go figure ::)
Pepperpump
 
I wonder what they look for in nickels. It's sort of obvious what to save with all other denominations. There were no pre-60's in those three rolls, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I think I kept a 1968-S and some Westward Journey's. My "keep" criteria for nickels are rather liberal- something of a compromise between cherry picking and all-out hoarding.
 
Wes_ said:
I keep other stuff from the nickels but won't bother with posting those stats from now on unless someone is particularly interested. Pre-'60 seems to be the "keeper" standard around here.

I keep other stuff too, but I don't post the results of it as its too common.

At least for now, I have been keeping the low mintage post-1959 dates.
1960, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1967, 1968-D, 1968-S, 1969-S, and 1971.

Basically anything with a mintage under 150 million. I was saving a few other dates for awhile that had slightly higher mintages, but that was before I started doing more volume, now I just save those when they are in gerat shape.

These "younger" keepers probably won't be worth anything for awhile, but who knows.

Oh and I will save any proofs as well, though I don't find that many.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom