New T-Net, new to the hobby. Oregon Laws

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been trying for awhile now to find out all the current laws regarding detecting on Oregon Beaches and in schools and what not. Anyone here up to date on the current standing laws? The only one I have concreate right now is that I can detect on all northern beaches, except for the Ft, past the brush line.

Upvote 0

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can I use my metal detector in a park?
Metal detecting without a permit is allowed in specific areas of Oregon State Parks and the ocean shores. See the list. Areas not included on the list may be open to metal detecting with an approved permit. Some parks are unstaffed, so to locate the closest park office to the park you're interested in, call 1-800-551-6949, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/faq.shtml

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more curious about school hunting and what not. I live in Hillsboro and have at least 15 schools all within very short drives of me where baseball games are held.

Also, I'm curious to know what can be done with the things I find. I'm not much into collecting, at least not at present, is there a list somewhere of places I'd be able to sell the things I find? I know I can take jewelery to some shops around town and get weight value of the item in question, but what about rare coins and what not?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Since Governor Oswald West's time, Oregon beaches have been open to the public. There are some restrictions, even in state parks on the use of metal detectors, though. You need to ask at the state park you are hunting at before going further. However, in general, from high tide to low tide, metal detectors can be used without problem. The only exception to that are federal site, such as the Ft. you mentioned (Fort Stevens, perhaps?). Federal law always trumps state law.

Not a lot of coins on Oregon beaches, though. You may hunt for the whole day without finding a single coin. Keep in mind that Oregon doesn't have many people, and most of those live away from the coast.

Portland parks are generally open to metal detectors. Many of these parks are adjacent to schools. Since 9/11, some restrictions have been upgraded for student safety, but I don't specifically know of any that are off-limits.

As a former teacher, I have used a metal detector at several school yards and playing fields. Never been a problem. But I always check with the principal if possible before detecting.

The Hillsboro is currently fairly upscale, and should have good clad hunting. Mostly too recent history for much older material, though. Plus, fairly close to Forest Grove, where a well-known detector is made. Quite aways from Lebanon and Sweet Home, where other brands of detectors are made.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent information and thanks for that. I've been looking forward to going out and starting this, just barrowing my brother-in-laws Bounty Hunter II for now. I hope to upgrade to something else when I can afford it, (Ace 250 seems fairly popular on here) and keep my hunting going. Gives me something to do in the off time. I'll remember what ya said about State Parks, and ya, was talking about Fort Stevens, :) For the school ground hunting, if I do it during the summer when schools out, do you think I would still need to contact the principle? More often than not I'll go with my fiance and our two kids, which my kids will attack the playground and I'll attack the baseball fields. :)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Any time you search school property while school is in session, alert the people at the school. Just being polite. If I haven't hunted a school area before, I try to introduce myself to the front desk or principal, if available. What's the worst that can happen? They may ask you to leave.

Lot of stuff in the news right now over an 8-year-old who may have been abducted at a science fair near Portland. By introducing yourself to the school authorities, even though you have a right to use a metal detector on the school ground, you are promoting good will.

Since you're on-line, you may want to ask the principal via email before searching a school. That way, they have a record of who you are and what you are doing.

I try to make it a point of returning rings if I find anything that has identifying characteristics. That's just me, though.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, went out for about an hour last night, found .25 in clad, some trash and a flattened penny with a cross on it. Still trying to figure out this detector 100%. Wish I knew how the sensitivty meter worked.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Good luck on learning the detector.

I'm not sure anyone knows their own detector 100%. There are always variations with soil conditions such as moisture and mineralization.

One of the best things you can do to learn your detector is plant a target plot in your yard. Plant an old nail, a pop-top, a bottle cap, a silver dime, a zinc lincoln, and most importantly, a nickel. If you can't find the nickel, you may want to tone down your discrimination.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mezrein, you ask:

" For the school ground hunting, if I do it during the summer when schools out, do you think I would still need to contact the principle? "

I don't know why you would need to "ask the principle", to begin with (I mean, I'm assuming you're planning to go when school is not in session). So if the school yard is open to any other after-school usage, then your hobby should be no different (assuming you're not leaving a mess, being a nuisance, etc...). For example: if others go there to jog the track, use the monkey-bars, fly a kite, etc.... then I would assume that the school yard is not buttoned up. In that case, if there is no specific prohibition to your activity, then you would no more need to "contact the principle", than those other people did who use the swings, job the track, fly a kite, etc...

Because to think you need to "ask", merely presumes that there is something inherently wrong, or damaging, about your hobby, that you needed to ask. And with that inference in their mind, you can sometimes get a "no", where ...... in fact ...... no one might ever have cared, or given you a second glance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
mezrein, you also ask about what to do with what you find. (rare coins, jewelry, etc...). What specifically did you want to know? I mean: as in ..... the best places to get the highest value? Or were you meaning something like: Is it legal to keep valuables I find? So expand a little on this question please.

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that, I have a bad habbit of asking vague open ended questions, as some of the people I assoicate with will only give me detailed info if I asked very open questions. So more specifically, and I probably have already answered my own question, but lets assume I go out tonight and I find some older stuff, coins, jewelery, trinkets, buttons, etc etc. What would I do with it? Jewelery I know I'd take to a jewelers shop, but old coins and buttons and what not, what can be done with those? Coins to a coin shop I guess, but what other options are there for these things other than collecting? Personally not much of a collector yet, maybe that will change once I gather a few rares, :)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Coin hunters should heed the advice: "Reduce. Reuse. Recycle." If the coins are common, put 'em back into circulation. Keeps the demand for new coins down a little.

For the good ones, keep 'em. Quality coins without corrosion will appreciate in value. Know what corrosion is, what can be done about it, and what should be spent again.

Collecting is always a possibility. But do it for your kids' kids. Short term collecting is seldom profitable, unless you sink a bunch of money into a real rarity with a lot of interest to it. Most people can't afford to invest in those proof 1913 V nickels.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
thanx for clarifying your question.

For old coins that you've looked up in the coin guides, and determined to have collectible numismatic value, Ebay seems to be the place to get the most exposure, to the most bidders/buyers.

For jewelry, if it's just scrap gold (no precious stones, and just bands and such), then there is on-line smelters (like "midwest refineries" for instance) that pay about 90 to 95% of whatever that day's spot market value of gold and silver prices are.

If you think you have value in stones (like if you got a big diamond, exceeding, say, 1/3 karot), then that's a tough question. Because unfortunately, the market for "loose" diamonds (gems, etc...) is kinda like cars: The minute you drive them off the lot, they loose half their value. I'll let someone who's found more 1 karot diamonds than me answer this one :)

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
If you find any old coins do not clean them first of all,(just rinse with water maybe, don't rub) post them in coin section here and see if they have somebody who would like to buy it. Most people here seem to be honest. Jewelry, I send mine to ARA, I have had good luck with them and they will send back any stones of value that were in settings. Other stuff that may be valuable like relics I am not sure, I just find junk here. Anyways good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread