What's new

New to Arrowhead hunting. First 2 finds. Need help identifying!

brainstew9886

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 28, 2015
Messages
3
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been interested in Indian artifacts. Even when I was young I loved to look through my dad's arrowhead collection. But the problem came in actually finding them. I never had the patience. I would walk a creek or a field every once in a while but would easily get discouraged. So now that I'm older I've kind of reignited my intetest in Indian artifacts. 2 weekends ago I decided, I know there's artifacts in these creeks, I'm GOING to find SOMETHING! With patience and some drive, I was rewarded. I would appreciate any knowledge you all have with the pieces I found. BTW these were found north of Kansas City, Mo.
20150727_230440.webp
My first arrowhead ever! And it's 99% perfect! I found it this past weekend on a gravel bar in a small creek. A friend classified it as a mid archaic Big Sandy.
20150728_004004.webp
Found this 2 weekends ago. The hole/bowl is definitely man made but I'm not sure what it was used for.
20150728_004051.webp
20150728_004106.webp
Also found this 2 weekends ago. Prob wishful thinking but it kind of looks like the back end of a pecked celt.
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! The hole/bowl might be some kind of small nutting stone, paint bowl, etc., but might be to small for that. Can't see like you can holding it in your hand. Nature can also make some odd shapes. But if that beautiful point doesn't "hook" you for life, nothing will. Great find!
 
I really like your point. It is a nice one!
 
:hello: Welcome to TNET!

Patience and determination is a must in this hobby, and if just hang in there you will do just fine. Nice looking point! :icon_thumright:
 
Welcome to the site! Yes creek hunting can yield great things like that awesome point you found there. I found my first everything Native American in my creek in March 2013 and have been completely hooked since then. It truly is an addiction but a healthy one. Also, look for pottery shards too. Good luck and be sure and post your finds!
 
Thanks to everyone who responded. I definitely have the bug now and will be hitting it hard. Unfortunately, I'm restricted to the weekends mainly.
Quick follow up question. I have been focusing on the creekbeds but I know points can be pulled from the banks as well. The banks are around 15 feet tall. Is there a desirable depth in the banks I should be looking? For example, 2-3 feet from the top? Or all up and down the banks? Thanks for the input and any other advice is greatly appreciated.
 
Welcome to the site! Yes creek hunting can yield great things like that awesome point you found there. I found my first everything Native American in my creek in March 2013 and have been completely hooked since then. It truly is an addiction but a healthy one. Also, look for pottery shards too. Good luck and be sure and post your finds!
I agree this is an addiction, but a healthy one. It's very peaceful to wander through the woods and find amazing artifacts. I'll start keeping an eye out for the pottery. I've already found a few pieces, but I believe them to be modern. I'll have to do some research to know what is worth keeping and what is junk. Thanks
 
Look for them at all levels. Around your area, the creeks have changed course and gotten deeper over the years. You may have old creek sediment from top to bottom. Or as the banks erode, items may slide partway down from top and then become buried only to come unearthed later. Good luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom