What's new

New to beach hunting

SorryDangDog

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2013
Messages
83
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after much decision making, I bought myself an Excal II, to finally fulfill a 50 year desire. Ever since reading Kip Wagner stories as a kid in Outdoor Life and Nat Geo back in the early 60's, I have wanted to get out on the Florida beaches and hunt. I've done a whole lot else on and below the waters in South Florida, so look forward to learning the hard things about beach hunting. Low tide is @ 4:21 this afternoon, for my first trip out around 2:00, wind's been blowing N/NW for past 24 hours, I won't really be near any known (to me) treasure producing areas so will be very happy finding anything modern. If you see a guy swinging an MD in South Palm Beach County and looks like he's a greenhorn, that'll be me. :icon_scratch: Have already learned immensely from y'all and looking forward to learning volumes more. Terry
 
There is nothing to it. I use a long handle scoop and a surfmaster PI. 1- wave detector about 1 " above sand, back and forth. 2- get signal and pinpoint with detector. 3- Scoop up sand and target. 4- Shake the hell out of the scoop till the sand is gone. 5- Remove lone target from scoop. Repeat many times until arm falls off or finds get to heavy. lol... Have fun.. Frank

111-1 profilecracked.webp
 
Greetings from S.W. Texas where it is many miles to any beach. But I have searched those Florida beaches and they almost never disappoint. Happy Hunting.
 
Welcome from another Terry, in White Plains, New York! Big Gold to You!
 
Welcome...

from Central Florida!


ret :tchest:
 
Thanks, y'all. I had a very successful day, for someone that has never swung a machine before, I was very happy......bunch of beer caps, foil, end of an alum umbrella, a stainless keyhole fastener and 87 cents in clad. Felt great to hear different targets, including one that was maybe 3/8' long by 1/8" thick, what was left of a small rusty nail or screw or something. It fell thru my scoop half a dozen times before I wised up and found it. I was there at low tide but just couldn't get myself to go into the first trough, too cool, cloudy and breezy. I'll be back on warmer days many more times. Let me read about how to post pics and I will on the Pics & Finds Forum.
 
Thanks, y'all. I had a very successful day, for someone that has never swung a machine before, I was very happy......bunch of beer caps, foil, end of an alum umbrella, a stainless keyhole fastener and 87 cents in clad. Felt great to hear different targets, including one that was maybe 3/8' long by 1/8" thick, what was left of a small rusty nail or screw or something. It fell thru my scoop half a dozen times before I wised up and found it. I was there at low tide but just couldn't get myself to go into the first trough, too cool, cloudy and breezy. I'll be back on warmer days many more times. Let me read about how to post pics and I will on the Pics & Finds Forum.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, Run detector over hole after scooping to see if target is in scoop before shaking the hell out of it. If it is still in the hole, just dump the scoop and re scoop. That would have told you the find was small and fell thru.

To post pictures, just click on the tree ikon, third from right at top. If the picture is in your computer, just click computer, then click location, then image,then enter, then post. Oh just before you click the tree, hit enter twice to avoid puting picture in between type. Frank111-1 profilecracked.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom