New to forum-Need Metal Detector advice

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and metal detecting in general . I'm looking to buy my first detector, but I'm not sure what to buy. I'll mostly be detecting for coins in the Mid Atlantic states. Originally, I was looking to buy a new or used Minelab Excaliber II, because I figured I could detect at the beach and in local creeks. I just think the Excaliber is to expensive to start out. I'd like to keep my first detector under $600. Any recommendations and advice would be welcomed.

Brent

Upvote 0

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab X-Terra 305 or 505

Garrett Ace 250 or AT Pro

Get a Garrett ProPointer to pinpoint.

Get a Lesche Digger to dig.

Most importantly, pay attention to the difference in sounds from one target to another. Learn your machine, whatever you end up buying.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Pick one that fits your wallet, dont fuss over the make or model, they are all good. Just learn the thing. The tecter dont make the finds, the tectorist does.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
Pick one that fits your wallet, dont fuss over the make or model, they are all good. Just learn the thing. The tecter dont make the finds, the tectorist does.

Yeah...... Or that. Lol :BangHead:

OP
OP
A

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for the list of detectors, this will help a lot. I known there are a lot of good detectors out there. My wallet and I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. I definitely plan on putting in the time and effort to learn how to use the machine.

OP
OP
A

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should seek out some local detectorist to help me get started.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anklebiter said:
Thanks for the list of detectors, this will help a lot. I known there are a lot of good detectors out there. My wallet and I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. I definitely plan on putting in the time and effort to learn how to use the machine.

Where are you located (just out of curiosity)? And yes...seeking out a local detectorist club/group is a great idea. Let us know what you get, and good luck with it.

OP
OP
A

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
I live just outside of Wilmington, De on the Delaware/Pennsylvania border. We got a lot of history around here and I already have few spot to detect. I priced out the Garrett AT Pro, Propointer & the Lesche digger. What else should I have when starting out. I know some folks on here take grass seed with them detectoring. I think that a great practice, one which I will do.

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a "Finds Pouch." it will have a side for keep items and a side for discard items. ALWAYS FILL YOUR HOLES BACK UP! We all want to give the hobby a good name. You can follow me and probably won't even see the spots I've dug. A towel is good too for dirt that you take out of the hole so it doesn't make a mess on the grass is you're hunting someone's yard or a public park. To see how to properly dig a plug/flap, watch dirtfishing on YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=13rf6e8GmcU

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anklebiter said:
I live just outside of Wilmington, De on the Delaware/Pennsylvania border. We got a lot of history around here and I already have few spot to detect. I priced out the Garrett AT Pro, Propointer & the Lesche digger. What else should I have when starting out. I know some folks on here take grass seed with them detectoring. I think that a great practice, one which I will do.

Grass seed?

What for?

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, the grass seed....not me. I'm assuming that's for the noobs that just dig and don't try to protect the established grass. I forgot about that. :dontknow:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just two things from me... my two cents. SOUND is what you must learn. All the other extras are... well.... extra. Learn the sound. A detector in incapable of lying. You just have to learn what it is saying. Also, Taking the trash out. Even if it is not yours. I hunted the Jamestown, VA Natl. Park ( I was a bewbie...I didn't know") and the ranger met me in the parking lot. My md was in hand. He had me dead! I just knew he was taking me to jail! He asked if I did any good. I pulled a bunch of pull tabs from my pocket... and sharp pieces of glass and metal. Right slam in the middle of the whole mess was a great big gold earing! All he said was, "Get outta here". Remember... take out the trash. TTC

OP
OP
A

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
okdiggermark said:
Yeah, the grass seed....not me. I'm assuming that's for the noobs that just dig and don't try to protect the established grass. I forgot about that. :dontknow:

Grass seed is probably a tip for us noobs. After a while I may find I don't even need it.

OP
OP
A

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
TerryC said:
Just two things from me... my two cents. SOUND is what you must learn. All the other extras are... well.... extra. Learn the sound. A detector in incapable of lying. You just have to learn what it is saying. Also, Taking the trash out. Even if it is not yours. I hunted the Jamestown, VA Natl. Park ( I was a bewbie...I didn't know") and the ranger met me in the parking lot. My md was in hand. He had me dead! I just knew he was taking me to jail! He asked if I did any good. I pulled a bunch of pull tabs from my pocket... and sharp pieces of glass and metal. Right slam in the middle of the whole mess was a great big gold earing! All he said was, "Get outta here". Remember... take out the trash. TTC

Yeah, I've already started taking notes on the "do and don't". Thanks for tips on sounds. I like your quote, "A detector in incapable of lying". Now, I just wish my kids were. :D

OP
OP
A

Anklebiter

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011
First, thanks for all the advice on detectors and other tips. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Garrett AT Pro w/two coils & Propointer. It came yesterday and I was able to put it together before I went to work. So, this afternoon my son, two of his friends and myself proceeded to dig up my front yard. Actually, we did a really good job of digging plugs, so you wouldn't even know we dug. I used the standard coin mode just to get a feel for the detector. My asked me to look for my daughters garnet earring see lost last year. Unfortunately, we didn't find the earring, but we found 6 pennies and a quarter. We also found what looks like a rock and it's magnetic. Oh, I also found my star tool (Allen wrench) for mounting my ski rack (big score). Then the boys took the detector down the street to a overgrown park where they ride bikes. They found 4 quarters and after I showed up, found 1 more quarter and a cine-kodak camera cover. They would have been happy detecting the rest of the day, but my son had baseball practiced. Needless the say, the best part of the day was seeing how much fun they had. It's a shame how long I put off buying a detector, probably four years. I'm looking forward to get out at least once or twice next week.
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_2805.JPG
    IMG_2805.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2799.JPG
    IMG_2799.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 175

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! It's an awesome hobby! Enjoy the r&r every chance you get! None of us are getting any younger!

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Friend, Check out the youtube site and google any type of metal detector you are interested in.
Pick up a good dig tool and as for grass seed, if I brought some my friend might just eat um up. (Are we suposed to put some in the hole after we dig? Check out the ebay for great sales from some who figure they are going to hit it rich and not have to spend much time but it takes knowlege, tips and luck but you have to think positive and take in nature and the excercise it offers... a big score is the bonus! Good luck to you.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you go spreading grass seed - check with the park groundskeeper. He may rather have bald spots that disappear in a year than unmatched grass in tufts all over the place. ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread