dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,

Not really new to the site, but new to Germany and looking for others who live here to go detecting with. I live in the Ramstein Air Base area and would love to get together with other hunters. I'm in the process of trying to secure permission to some local fields and would be willing to share with you, if you're willing to share with me. If you live nearby and would like to get together, let me know.

Mods, if there's another forum that might be more appropriate for this post please let me know.

Thanks everyone, and Happy Hunting!

-Nate

smalltowngirl13

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2012
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully you can find someone to hunt with :) and if you are a soldier, thank you for your military service!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi All,

Not really new to the site, but new to Germany and looking for others who live here to go detecting with. I live in the Ramstein Air Base area and would love to get together with other hunters. I'm in the process of trying to secure permission to some local fields and would be willing to share with you, if you're willing to share with me. If you live nearby and would like to get together, let me know.

Mods, if there's another forum that might be more appropriate for this post please let me know.

Thanks everyone, and Happy Hunting!

-Nate

I took my detector to my assignment at Kapaun AS, and my immediate follow-on at Ramstein. I talked to folks (German and US) who said I really did not want to do that. Kaiserslautern was an alternate target during World War II and it a target was socked in, they dropped their bomb load in the Kaiserslautern area on the way back to England. Therefore, there is lots of unexploded ordinance in the area.

I had a wonderful 7 years there but never did detect. I saw lots of holes while out running SE of Kapaun in the forest area. I was on a road marked as Romanisch strasse and wanted to detect along it. There were shell and bomb holes all along the way, however, so I did not. On mtn bikes we would go as far as Gelterswoog. Anyway, if you do go metal detecting, be very careful about what you dig. I also understood old mines (AT and anti-personnel) could still be out in the remoter areas, along with other unexploded ordinance.

BTW, where do you live? On base? We lived in Landstuhl, near the Rathaus for 7 years.

Dave

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my detector to my assignment at Kapaun AS, and my immediate follow-on at Ramstein. I talked to folks (German and US) who said I really did not want to do that. Kaiserslautern was an alternate target during World War II and it a target was socked in, they dropped their bomb load in the Kaiserslautern area on the way back to England. Therefore, there is lots of unexploded ordinance in the area.

I had a wonderful 7 years there but never did detect. I saw lots of holes while out running SE of Kapaun in the forest area. I was on a road marked as Romanisch strasse and wanted to detect along it. There were shell and bomb holes all along the way, however, so I did not. On mtn bikes we would go as far as Gelterswoog. Anyway, if you do go metal detecting, be very careful about what you dig. I also understood old mines (AT and anti-personnel) could still be out in the remoter areas, along with other unexploded ordinance.

BTW, where do you live? On base? We lived in Landstuhl, near the Rathaus for 7 years.

Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave. I haven't ventured out yet...Just been eyeing some fields near my house that are being plowed. I moved to Germany in May and settled in a little town south of Landstuhl called Harsberg. It's VERY small. Look on a map for Weselberg, and follow the road west to the next village over. That's me in Harsberg. Probably only 100 or so houses. I did detect my yard and found 20 euro cents. :) That's about all I've done so far.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Nate! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Germany for information directly related to your country.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the advice Dave. I haven't ventured out yet...Just been eyeing some fields near my house that are being plowed. I moved to Germany in May and settled in a little town south of Landstuhl called Harsberg. It's VERY small. Look on a map for Weselberg, and follow the road west to the next village over. That's me in Harsberg. Probably only 100 or so houses. I did detect my yard and found 20 euro cents. :) That's about all I've done so far.

Well, we almost rented in Hermersberg but decided the drive was way too far. Glad we didn't because it would have been even further to Ramstein AB. We went down Hwy 62 a number of times, so we have been right past Harsberg. Now that you mention it, I did detect outside our building in Landstuhl when I first got there and found an Italian aluminum coin dated in the 50's.

Just looking at the maps brings back such good memories. We miss Parkbrau beer, brewed in Pirmasens.

I think you are far enough away from Kaiserslautern and Landstuhl that unexploded ordinance should not be too much of a problem. The link in the other thread on MT laws was also good and far more up-to-date than anything I would know. I have not been in Germany for 20 years. We left in June of 1994.

Imjrod

May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate,

I live in Kaiserslautern! PM me if you want to go detecting.

-Jerod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions