New to metal detecting and need help with a SS2`

Jinxy

Dec 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so my bf bought me a sharp shooter 2 as an early Christmas gift. I did a lot of research before buying and we narrowed it down to that one out of what we could buy in store as opposed to online. It fits me great and has all the things I wanted it to have (by reading advice online as to what is good to have). I took it out yesterday for the first time just in the back yard but I'm having an extremely hard time pinpointing as well as getting what seems like a lot of false readings. After being out an hour in an area I know we've worked on cars and dropped coins and stuff all I actually found was a piece of foil wrapper (granted that was a good 10 inches deep lol) Can anyone give me some advice as to how to set up for a hunt (placements of the discriminate and sens knobs) as well as which mode is easiest/most effective to hunt in and pinpoint in?

Another thing. There is supposed to be a locking ring on the rod of my MD. that connects the 2 rods. Is that really supposed to come with it or is that something they did away with? it has the square cut out for it but the ring didn't come with it and I'm thinking I need to call the manufacturer to get it because the rod actually seems quite weak at that point. I will say that the manual told us to hold it out in the air to "test" the detector with coins and such and if it wobbled at all it would start beeping. could that be a short or is it normal?

I have to decide in the next like 3 weeks max if I need to return this or not because of the time limit with bass pro. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Jinx

jeremyjms06

Dec 5, 2011
Phenix City, AL
Detector(s) used
SS11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a SS2 and it's just gonna take practice, practice, and more practice to figure the machine out. I love mine and it works really well for me. As far as pinpointing goes, put it in "all metal" mode and listen for the tone to be at it's loudest. Narrow your swings down closer and closer and once you find the spot where the tone is the loudest then you have pretty much pinpointed your object. You're gonna have to just play with the disc and sensitivity controls until you have it set to where you like it. No one can really tell you exactly where to set it. If you are just wanting to find items then just run the "all metal" mode.... don't forget that in all metal mode that you will need to find a spot on the ground that doesn't contain any metal and hit your retune button every so often to keep the machine in tune. If you want to narrow down your search a little more but not miss too much at the same time then run it on you "auto notch" mode. I usually use the "auto notch" mode when I'm in a field and want to see what all is out there. After you get the hang of all that and want to really start narrowing down your search then start running in "disc" mode and start playing with your discrimination control until you have it set to where you like it. I took a white out pen and made marks on my discrimination and sensitivity controls to know where exactly I like them set for what type of hunting I am doing. All in all it's a great machine and will find you object, just have to go through the frustrations of figuring out your machine... but pretty much any machine is gonna give you that upfront frustrations. Just keep playing with it and you'll slowly start to learn what the SS2 is telling you and what you need to do to the machine to make it hunt what you want it to hunt. Good luck and keep at it!! Don't give up on it just yet, once you get it figured out you'll be glad you kept it. Also mine did not come with a ring either but works perfectly.

OP
OP
J

Jinxy

Dec 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New to metal detecting and need help with a SS2

Thanks for the advice. We def picked a bad time to buy it considering since we got it it has done nothing but rain. I've gotten maybe 1-2 sunny days but even then i'm digging in straight mud lol. it's finally drying out today so hopefully it stays dry long enough to work with it a bit before snow hits. we live in ohio so winter generally sucks around here. not as bad as further north but the last 2 years we got slammed with about 3 ft of snow in a matter of 2-3 days tops. so unfortunately for my machine it's gunna be put up for the winter soon :-[ . I just dont get the disc and sens knobs like where's a good place to start? i know i'll have to kinda work it out and decide where i like it but any opinion where i should start them out and adjust from there?

AtLarge

Dec 1, 2011
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jinxy said:
Ok so my bf bought me a sharp shooter 2 as an early Christmas gift. I did a lot of research before buying and we narrowed it down to that one out of what we could buy in store as opposed to online. It fits me great and has all the things I wanted it to have (by reading advice online as to what is good to have). I took it out yesterday for the first time just in the back yard but I'm having an extremely hard time pinpointing as well as getting what seems like a lot of false readings. After being out an hour in an area I know we've worked on cars and dropped coins and stuff all I actually found was a piece of foil wrapper (granted that was a good 10 inches deep lol) Can anyone give me some advice as to how to set up for a hunt (placements of the discriminate and sens knobs) as well as which mode is easiest/most effective to hunt in and pinpoint in?

Another thing. There is supposed to be a locking ring on the rod of my MD. that connects the 2 rods. Is that really supposed to come with it or is that something they did away with? it has the square cut out for it but the ring didn't come with it and I'm thinking I need to call the manufacturer to get it because the rod actually seems quite weak at that point. I will say that the manual told us to hold it out in the air to "test" the detector with coins and such and if it wobbled at all it would start beeping. could that be a short or is it normal?

I have to decide in the next like 3 weeks max if I need to return this or not because of the time limit with bass pro. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Jinx

First of all congratulations. Good to have a mate that supports your hobby. Second, I am a novice to this model and MD in general too. All I have is the manual to go by but I do not see any reference to a locking ring. On page 4 of the manual all I see is the button lock used to change the length of the rod that connects the coil to the brain box. Also, your comment of "wobbling" isn't clear to me. Do you mean "sensed" the object? I got in on the BP deal too and thought it was a great deal on the whole package. Plus I was burning up $125 in gift cards so that helped. I can only suggest going over the manual repeatedly until you have it memorized and page 7 shows the recommended start up settings. Try zooming around Youtube because there is a lot of video showing them in action including the BH SS2. That's what I have to do anyway. I have only had the chance to use it twice and the ground is frozen so it was just a trial run. I like the different tones, notching should be very handy and can't wait for spring. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread