NEW TO METAL DETECTING ? ? ? - LEARN AND RESPECT THE "MD CODE"... KNOW HOW AND WHERE TO DETECT AND RESPECT IT

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are new to our hobby please take the time and adopt the CODE of metal detectorists....

#1. Have permission to detect any area... if unsure.... DONT DETECT IT.

#2. FILL YOUR HOLES !... try and make every attempt to leave the area you detected exactly the way you found it... like you were never there.

#3. Remove ANY AND ALL trash that you uncover and dispose of it PROPERLY in a designated trash receptacle... or take it home with you.
(if you dont and throw it back down... YOU ARE LITTERING BY LAW)

The above are the MOST important 3 things to know and follow or detecting will be banned from areas now open to it.

There are some other "Etiquette issues" that need addressing and i want others to add to them in following posts please.

I will add this one...

Respect others that may be in the area you are detecting... just because you own a detector does not mean you have any right over theirs.
(DO NOT approach someone laying on the beach or another scenario and detect next to them... this is rude and self centered)

Thank you for respecting the art and hobby that has been a love for so many for so long.

We don't want it destroyed by the I don't care i am going to do it my way" attitudes of many newbies who decided they were going to buy a metal detector.

We don't mind you joining our elite hobby... we just mind you screwing what we have built up.

Etiquette -

1. Etiquette, decorum, propriety imply observance of the formal requirements governing behavior in polite society. Etiquette refers to conventional forms and usages: the rules of etiquette. Decorum suggests dignity and a sense of what is becoming or appropriate for a person of good breeding: a fine sense of decorum.

Etiquette helps us know how to treat others. ... Etiquette makes people comfortable and at ease, it shows that we value and respect others. Etiquette promotes kindness, consideration, and humility. Etiquette gives the confidence to deal with different situations in life, it gives us life skills.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Thread Arc! Very Timely!
Also, pick up any trash you see laying on the ground! It will give you good karma too and many times there's treasure laying underneath trash!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread Arc. Thanks for posting. Reminds me of a time I had permission to hunt a huge farm that had camps during Civil War. I was as always careful to fill in holes and leave no trace of my digging. I always cut a plug out, so the grass goes back in place. Another digger showed up on the farm while I was not digging and DID NOT even fill in his holes in a cow pasture. Fortunately, the owners knew it was not me and when they found him, he was denied permission to come back. He had some holes 2 feet deep he had left. Moron. He could have injured and animal and ruined digging for everyone. I filled in every one of his holes I could find.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't think people need to be told to not leave a mess or destructive evidence.
If I did to some people's yards what they have done to public ground they'd probably call the police.

Manhole sized pieces of sod removed in a park. Thrown loosely back in place , off center and edges not aligning or secured.

Almost surprised and nearly embarrassed for detecting I lifted one such piece to start reworking it into a secure position as it was not dead..Yet.
Still hoping it was not a detectorist (though having a nagging suspicion) ended when in the center of the exposed ground where the jumbo toupee had sat , laid a crushed tin can.
Trash below the other manhole sized pieces of loose sod nearby.
After securing them I bailed. Guilt by association feeling and not wanting to be accused of being the culprit. After all , there I was holding a yard of sod removed each spot....

Another park I hunted often and right across the street from /in sight of the village office
one spring were multiple huge chunks of sod loose above the surrounding sod again.
All I could guess was either it was the same detectorist from the other park , or someone just as ignorant.
Once again I was trying to repair what someone else had done.
And again , what if I did that kind of damage to thier yard(s)?

I knew someone who had watched me detecting near home who scored a detector.
Cornered him eventually and inquired if he had hunted a certain park at a certain time frame.
When he said he did , we had a chat about how to recover. And did he need more demonstrations?
The damaged areas ceased after.
I have not asked if he quit detecting , or has a care in the sign he leaves..

Still , evidence shows up still here and there from others detecting. And hey , I've had some messy recoveries that took considerable effort to blend the surface after too.
It is the taking time to keep things secure , intact, and not standing out after that matters.

One park a small plug or flap got lifted from the particular mowing decks vacuum.
A larger flap reduced the occurrence.
That meant/means when detecting it was /is no surprise to find a loose flap or plug someone else had cut now and then.. Secure it , and keep detecting.

Park workers were good about it. Hope they still are.
A "finding anything?" Or "Hi how's it going? , to "You are taking all the trash you find? " have been greetings.
One park I would like to keep detecting has seen new workers. And village board members.
When I hit it the most years back the village president would stop to chat now and then.
There was no problem with detecting . His watching me make recoveries and the results/impact likely factored in the casual concern from workers.
Yet , had the mower (he was driving one one visit) picked up a manhole cover sized loose clump of sod , or more than the odd plug , or dead plugs be common ; or conflicts with other users ect. be brought up... eyebrows would have been raised.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't think people need to be told to not leave a mess or destructive evidence.
If I did to some people's yards what they have done to public ground they'd probably call the police.

Manhole sized pieces of sod removed in a park. Thrown loosely back in place , off center and edges not aligning or secured.

Almost surprised and nearly embarrassed for detecting I lifted one such piece to start reworking it into a secure position as it was not dead..Yet.
Still hoping it was not a detectorist (though having a nagging suspicion) ended when in the center of the exposed ground where the jumbo toupee had sat , laid a crushed tin can.
Trash below the other manhole sized pieces of loose sod nearby.
After securing them I bailed. Guilt by association feeling and not wanting to be accused of being the culprit. After all , there I was holding a yard of sod removed each spot....

Another park I hunted often and right across the street from /in sight of the village office
one spring were multiple huge chunks of sod loose above the surrounding sod again.
All I could guess was either it was the same detectorist from the other park , or someone just as ignorant.
Once again I was trying to repair what someone else had done.
And again , what if I did that kind of damage to thier yard(s)?

I knew someone who had watched me detecting near home who scored a detector.
Cornered him eventually and inquired if he had hunted a certain park at a certain time frame.
When he said he did , we had a chat about how to recover. And did he need more demonstrations?
The damaged areas ceased after.
I have not asked if he quit detecting , or has a care in the sign he leaves..

Still , evidence shows up still here and there from others detecting. And hey , I've had some messy recoveries that took considerable effort to blend the surface after too.
It is the taking time to keep things secure , intact, and not standing out after that matters.

One park a small plug or flap got lifted from the particular mowing decks vacuum.
A larger flap reduced the occurrence.
That meant/means when detecting it was /is no surprise to find a loose flap or plug someone else had cut now and then.. Secure it , and keep detecting.

Park workers were good about it. Hope they still are.
A "finding anything?" Or "Hi how's it going? , to "You are taking all the trash you find? " have been greetings.
One park I would like to keep detecting has seen new workers. And village board members.
When I hit it the most years back the village president would stop to chat now and then.
There was no problem with detecting . His watching me make recoveries and the results/impact likely factored in the casual concern from workers.
Yet , had the mower (he was driving one one visit) picked up a manhole cover sized loose clump of sod , or more than the odd plug , or dead plugs be common ; or conflicts with other users ect. be brought up... eyebrows would have been raised.

A recent study showed that one out of one hundred people is a psychopath so there's always going to be trash and open holes left by detectorists everywhere. They have no brains...better not say more, so the rest of us will have to pick-up after them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread