New to the forum and have a question

brian f

Nov 27, 2008
I have had my MXT300 for about a month now and have two good outing with it. first time out I found a few clad pennies, dime and a kea and old drill YA
My second time out I found GOLD!!!!! A ring and necklaces some pennies , 4 dimes, 3 nickels and 1 quoter YA YA

My first question is how do I now if the sandy soil where I live is mineralized? I live in Oakley California near the delta of San Francisco. Perhaps this is why the zink pennies are so corroded and the dimes and nickels I have found are so black??? Any comments would be of great help.

The BIG QUESTION I have is what coil should I get? I have the Super 12 that came with my MXT300 and i get all Kinds of mixed reading with it? ( this may be the soil type I have or just me lol). I also bought the Eclipse DD (6x10) White has the 99.95 offer with new MXT300 and I am not shear which one to get? I plane on doing some prospecting in the Sierras and coin shooting where I live and have it down to 1 of 3 coils. The D2 10" DD coil , Eclipse Shooter DD (4x6), and Eclipse 5.3?

I am not shear if i should get the D2 10" DD coil because it is such a great deal than buy the other coil or not? I have read a lot of good things about the Eclipse 5.3 and the 6" EXcelerator Search Coil

Any help you could give would be very great full.

Thank you Brian

Congrats on the MXT. It's agreat machine! I use a XLT and will eventually move to the DFX. I would suggest getting the 5.3 coil. I have one and the 4X6. I get better target seperation with the 4X6 but don't get the depth with it that Ido with the 5.3 Bullseye. The smaller coils will allow you to seperate the targets better. For instance, you pass over two targets 3 inches apart. one is a silver dime and the other is a pulltab. With the larger coils, they are going to pickup the pulltab first and it is going to mask the dime. With the smaller coil, you can slow your sweeps down and pickup both targets seperately. Hopes this makes sense to you. If it does, explain it to me sometime after you try it out!! ;D ;D ;D Tim

First of all, if you're finding good treasure, you are doing things right, and I would not get too overly concerned about mineralization. Most inland areas of California do not have disabling mineralization problems, and if they do the, the ground tracking option on the MXT would help a lot.

Second, that is one fine detector, and you probably cannot go wrong.
The club I'm in has LOTS of folks, including myself, who use the MXT
with the 9x5 DD coil you mention, and it's a great all-around balance between
depth, weight, and a broad range of field conditions. The 12-inch coil,
I would think would come in handy once you've mastered all the bells
and whistles on the machine, and you can use it to go back to
"hunted out" parks and search for the deeper coins, but for starters
you cannot go wrong with the ease of use and efficiency of the DD coil.

Welcome to the sport!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back