new to the hobby and Virginia.

caselhall

Feb 12, 2013
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 W/DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the laws in Va, invent stealth clothing or cloaking technology or else your screwed!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few threads here discussing this....here are is one link and another to another website:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/virginia/65185-virginia-metal-detecting-laws.html

Metal Detecting In Virginia? Know The Law!

I live in Va Beach and was curious too and started looking and asking. One of my neighbors is a Va Beach Police Captain and his take on local parks (which we hunted one today and I got my 2nd gold ring!) and public places (beaches, parks, ball fields ect...) is that you are good to go as long as you follow any posted rules (either in the area or look online) and it isn't a bad idea to call that location or check with the local police and just ask them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The 2nd link that Doc-beav has, is strictly about state-owned lands. So it would have no bearing on county, city, or private lands. And if you're wondering therefore about city and county where you're at (whether there's any rules), look them up yourself. Certainly the muni-codes are listed for public viewing SOMEWHERE (like the city website, etc...). If there's nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it must not be prohibited. There's your answer.

And as for the first link, that's a thread with multiple people chiming in, with multiple diff. links and observations. Just watch close for the same thing: That some stuff there may only be state lands, and not city and county. And as for things forbidding alterations, defacement, vandalism, etc..., no, I do not consider those to forbid metal detecting (even though it was the "pressing issue answer" given to some people who might have taken it upon themselves to go find a bored desk-bound bureaucrat to tell them "no"). Because when you think of it, technically, all such verbage applies to the END result. So if you leave the area exactly as you found it (no trace of your holes, pack them, stomp them, ruffle them up, etc...), then technically, you have not alterED, defacED, or vandalizED anything, now have you?

Just avoid busy-body lookie-lous & stay away from obvious sacred historic monuments, etc....

scvbasteve

Greenie
Oct 2, 2012
falls church,va
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030/Minelab Explorer/Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1751-fry-jefferson-map.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread