What's new

New to the hobby

bryan1182

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I listen to guys at work talk about the stuff they find and look at their finds...so I thought I would give it a try. A little about my location:

I live in Northern Virginia, surrounded by woods. Would that be a good place to start looking and would I find anything? I dont think I am ready to star knocking on doors, asking farmers if I can dig their plowed fields yet.

What would be a good starter detector that wont cost alot, but will get me hooked.

Thanks in advanced.
 
Welcome to TNet!

Starting in your own yard and woods around your house is a good start. What you might find, no one knows. I have been at this hobby for almost a year and still waiting for that good find.

For a MD, I would suggest Garret's ACE 250. You can buy one for 212.00. I got one for my son and he can't wait for the snow to get out of here so he can start practicing in the back yard and going out on hunts with me and other TNet members.

Sue
 
I agree with above - The Ace 250 is a good all-around detector, that has the features you will need, such as discrimination, pin-pointing, and target ID, and all at a reasonable price.

Many experts suggest starting in what they call "Tot-Lots" - those playground areas in parks that are filled with wood chips or sand. They are easy to dig, fairly common in most areas of the US, and generally have decent amounts of treasure to find. It will give you a head start on using the detector, and what to expect, AND the digging is much easier than hard-packed soil or weedy yards. Next, move up to other areas of parks - especially pathways, entries, and ball fields. One of the best things you can do, also, is join with a club, or at least one other experienced detector enthusiast. They are very helpful. Enjoy, and welcome to the sport!!
 
Practice good recovery techniques to no end!
 
Yup, ACE 250 is a good machine, the wife has one & she does almost as well as I do with my minelab! :icon_scratch:
 
Bryan, I'm bad for saying it, but do not buy a little yeller feller.

You are apparently in an area of the war of northern aggression.

That alone dictates the probability of deeper targets of great significant value.

What are the other fellows finding, what interests you, and, which of them with his finds interests you most?

Ask what they use, and how they feel about it. Ask what they might prefer.
Me? I like Tesoro, for many reasons. I sold my Ace, for many reasons!

Best you could do is go out with your friends.

Best
rmptr
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom