New to the hobby

K

kestrel0222

Hi,

I am new to this hobby and have been doing a lot of research on which MD to purchase for my first machine. I am considering the (3) following machines:

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II - $200.00
Garrett Ace 250 - $210.00
Whites Prizm III - $300

I’m sure this type of question has been asked many times, but I am not sure which is the better machine. After looking at the specs of these (3) machines, they appear to be about the same, feature for feature.

So, putting the features aside, which machine is better in terms of ease of use, depth, and quality?

I will be using this detector on fresh water beaches (dry sand) and grass parks.

Thanks to all for your input,

Tom

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I don't know about the BH.

But the features are not even close on the other two. The 250 has 12 segments of discrimination -P3 has 8. 250 has a true selective notch - p3 does not. 250 is muti tone -p3 does not. 250 has 3 coils - p3 has 2. 250 runs on AA batteries -p3 runs on expensive 9 volts (2 of them) . 250 is $100.00 less than the p3. Take that money and buy a Sniper coil and $20.00 Headphones.
The p3 is a good detector but it's just not in the same class as the 250.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Search around a bit and you’ll find the Ace will come with 5 free gifts, digger, head phones, find pouch etc.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there, done that.

BH is a Walmart type. Does the job, but there's better.

You can't go wrong with White's or Garrett's, and the others appeared to me to be for more experienced hunters.

I just bought the Ace 250. It does a lot more than the Whites, for the price.

If you are going to buy online, http://www.detection.com/garrett/ace250.html

Sean has a great dealer record.

I prefer spending a few buck more, and buying from a dealer I can talk face to face with. The Garrett site will tell you your closest dealer, and don't be surprised if it's an old timer working out of the back of his house. Listen to him and learn.

Good luck.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Thank you all for your input. I guess the Ace is the better one. Now all I have to do is see if Santa brings me one! ;D

Thanks again,

Tom

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Do not count on Santa as I have heard that he likes the 250 also. Make sure that the detector has not been used and placed back in the box.

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Good idea!!! I'll have to check that as soon as I get it. I'm sure that I'll be able to tell if it was used or even removed from the box at one time.

Looking for a good place to order one from (internet), any suggestions? ???

How about www.metaldetector.com ???

Also looked at www.DectectionNet.com ???

Are they a reliable source???

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Phantasman said:
Been there, done that.

BH is a Walmart type. Does the job, but there's better.

You can't go wrong with White's or Garrett's, and the others appeared to me to be for more experienced hunters.

I just bought the Ace 250. It does a lot more than the Whites, for the price.

If you are going to buy online, http://www.detection.com/garrett/ace250.html

Sean has a great dealer record.

I prefer spending a few buck more, and buying from a dealer I can talk face to face with. The Garrett site will tell you your closest dealer, and don't be surprised if it's an old timer working out of the back of his house. Listen to him and learn.

Good luck.

I have TREID to do business with that guy, what an a$$hole. >:(
just my 2 cents

About the detectors many seem to like the Ace I also use a Garrett but I use GTI-2500

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Since I don't need an electronic pinpointer I order from KellyCo. Then they will throw in a Automax V4 pinpointer for 14.95 which I quickly sell on ebay. I usually get about 60 to 66 dollars for it. Making the detector cost very little.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's how best to make this come out well for you at the outset. Heed if you wish.

Get an Ace 250 from any of the sources mentioned here, although I would personally steer off of K-Co.

Learn to use it. Spend time with it, feel what its doing and test it plenty to get the hang of the responses.

Now, simply dig everything that gives a repeatable tone in at least one direction, regardless of what the ID cursor says. By your detector choices, Im guessing youre bound to have a display - but know that they can be fooled. Doing it this way ensures that you learn real fast what's out there.

Dont give up and dont believe all the hype - you will find trash. Lots of it.

Don't feel bad because someone else found the Leprechauns Gold and all you got was a pulltab. Chances are good that person has years of experience and plenty of personal time and effort invested - luck favors the prepared mind, after all.

There are a lot of detectors languisihing in closets; we are in the 3rd Age of the Detector, after all. Vow today that yours wont be one of them.

In summary, let me ask this question:

Have you ever taken an important trip somewhere? A really important trip?

Chances are pretty good that you have, right? Remember how you planned and wrestled and organized and prepared and finally the big moment came - it was time to go! You were committed to getting there and by gosh you were gonna do it.

This is just like that. You've researched and asked and stewed and planned and its time to get going. Put your money down on the the Ace, or Prizm, or Bounty Hunter or whatever quality instrument you choose - and then start in your own backyard. At that point, you are committed and the the journey truly begins in earnest.

Peace,
David

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Dahut couldn’t have said it better.

I bought my Ace from Sean and didn’t have any trouble with him or his service even went back to him for the bigger coil, I use mine on the beach and the 9X12 is nice.

Man I second Phantasman’s recommendation.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good advice, Dahut, as always.

Start small and work your way up. Outgrow the small one rather than take on more than you can chew, trying to figure out all the bells and whistles. The Ace 250 has enough to figure out and keep you moving. I am doing that right now, and it's fun, frustrating and rewarding. ;D

Dan

OP
OP
K

kestrel0222

Thank you ALL for your advise!!! I still have a little time before I am able to purchase a new detector (X-mas is my first priority). Thanks again for taking the time to shear your own experiences with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread