NEW TOY ON THE WAY(ITS TEJON TIME)

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
I also had an Ace 250, then bought the Tejon. I returned to a school yard where I had dug up 105 coins with the Ace. I was pretty thorough, and would have bet my bottom dollar that I did a good job of cleaning it out. So when I got my Tejon, first thing I did was return to that school to see if the Tejon could find anything else. I found 52 more coins with a higher ratio of dimes ands nickels, and even some silver. This was in the same place that I had already worked!
I'm now up to 274 coins from that school, and expect to find quite a few more by the time I work the area around the sidewalks. The oldest is a 1939 penny, with a 1942 nickel also getting honorable mention.

FYI, I do not miss the TID on the ACE. Your Tejon, once you learn it's "language" will give you good indication of depth.

Dan

shadow0966,

Your going to like that new Tejon, it's a very hot machine! Don't know if you ever had dual discrimination on a detector before but that is what's going to work for you when coinshooting. It's also a very FAST way to determine if you should dig or not. Hope you enjoy it!

Joe

My Tejon eats Ace 250s for breakfast! :P Seriously, though. I've owned both, but I still own the Tejon. You are going to love the Tejon. You are in for a real treat once you get used to it. Get ready to dig deep. Examples: 7" deep 1928 Buffalo on edge in sod, 5.5" deep indian in gravel, 9" wheat in sand totally on edge.

Make sure you read and re-read the ground balance tips. I also think you should read the manual front to back at least once. The tesoro website has a great review that has lots little known tips. It's a simple machine, but it's quirky. I am still learning tricks to make it more effective.

Ian

Thank you all for the advice & tips , I can't wait to try it out !
By the sounds of it the hardest part about learning the tejon will be the ground balancing so I will make sure I read the manual and the tips on the website a few times.
Once again thanx everyone.
SHAWN

I've owned my Tejon for a few weeks now and am still learning it's nuances... but I'm very pleased with it.

It took me a couple of tries to feel comfortable that I'd ground balanced it properly (I had been using a Vaquero so I was allready familier with the concept)

TIP: When hunting in a low level discrimination mode it will still make lots of little chirps and chips over iron. I like this because it lets me know that there is iron in the ground, these "choppy" noises are different than the signal from a good target. It will take some time to learn them, unfortunately the learning curve includes digging a few bit of iron.

But I've had some good luck and I'm very pleased with the Tejon.

Good luck and post your finds!

There is a video with audio on ground balancing located on the Tesoro website. It's not a Tejon that they're using but the concept is the same.

http://www.tesoro.com/Multimedia-Center.html

I really like the 5.75 concentric coil for trashy yards. I found 1929 and 1944 dimes in my sister's yard that we've both hit pretty hard in the past with Bounty Hunters and an Ace 250.

Oh yeah, we also dug some tiny pieces of copper wire and some pieces of rivets from blue jeans. I'm definitely glad I have a pinpointer or I would have gone nuts trying to separate those things from the dirt.

;D YIPPY ITS HERE ;D

:o wow is this sucker ever noisy.
It is gonna take awhile to learn this type of machine,but fun to learn at the same time .
I think I got the hang of GB already ,well I think anyways but time will tell.

GB is no problem.
Use the fast retune to GB.
The GB knob is very sensitive, when you get close it only takes a small amount of movement to get it right.

shadow0966 said:
Thank you all for the advice & tips , I can't wait to try it out !
By the sounds of it the hardest part about learning the tejon will be the ground balancing so I will make sure I read the manual and the tips on the website a few times.
Once again thanx everyone.
SHAWN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back