New Tumbler for cleaning Clad!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey All,

Just picked up another Tumbler from harbor Freight. They are running a sale right now, I think about $35 or so. There not the best quality but if you run them lightly and use vacuum cleaner belts, they will last, and with some small fish tank rocks and about 4-8 hours of tumbling. . . . clean for the bank. . . .oh, and no matter what you do, try not to use sandbox sand. . . the clean the coins, but dull them bad!

HH

PTP

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I have been thinking of getting one and Harbor Freight is cheap and you never really know if what you get is going to be any good. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no prob, you have to baby it, but as long as you don't overload it with clad (it says 3lbs) but it's really about 2 (with water and media). The motor works well, as long as you don't weigh it down and your not using it continuously. I usually clean my clad for 4-8 hours, and I don't do it every time I hunt. I usually wait until I have a good amount (about a good handful or so) before I run it. The kit comes with a few extra belts, which I use, but when they are done, I go to a vacuum belt, (I don't remember which brand, but it looks just like the belt that comes with the tumbler except its thicker). I looked at the 5 lbs shaker tumbler, but it just seemed too big, it was on sale too!

Just an FYI

HH
PTP

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that the Harbor Freight tumblers smell like rubber when you run them.. ??

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's because the barrel's are made of hard rubber, and the belts are made of rubber, they do smell that way when you first run them but the smell does go away.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got the double 3 pounder. It's working pretty good so far. I'm using fish tank gravel and some crushed beach shells and course sand to clean my beach clad.

It has to have both containers on it to run correctly, even if one is empty.

It's from China, the home of Harbor Freight, can't expect too much...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine if you like too but clad does not need to be cleaned. All it needs is the obvious dirt washed off and it will run through a coin counting machine regardless of how discolored it is. And banks or cashiers will take it as we'll.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Fine if you like too but clad does not need to be cleaned. All it needs is the obvious dirt washed off and it will run through a coin counting machine regardless of how discolored it is. And banks or cashiers will take it as we'll.
..... Susan you are right there have never tumbled my clad just washed it off...... And i never had a problem getting rid of it..............

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, I need to go to your bank . . . I have been rejected from the bank, from the store and from the gas station with dirty (clean but stained) clad. But hey, who wants dirty money. . . hehe

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just loaded mine up for the first time, I am gonna let it run overnight and then see how they look.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesnt have a ton of hard stuff stuck on it, put the worst ones in the worst ones in the middle of a roll and any bank takes them.

Why would anyone waste time/money/effort on cleaning clad unless you enjoy it as part of the hobby or want it for collections?

JMB

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hehehe, I keep one of those blue plastic coffee cans in the back of my car full of ugly beach change.

Parking meters take it, soda and candy machines take it, (the toll booths before I got sunpass), and yes, even the coin counting machines.

Like sands of the litter box, I be spreading it around! :laughing7:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tumbled for 5hrs, they look much better and are really clean. Won't dirty up my hands or pockets now. First load was 175 dimes. Used aquarium rocks and dawn dish soap. Actually found out that one of the dimes was a silver Roosevelt that I had over looked! SCORE!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread