Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my resolutions involve how I treat people. I want to be more positive, helpful, nurturing, empathetic and friendly. Less negative, demeaning, sarcastic and judgmental. I need to be more tolerant, at times (not across the board).

For some reason, this comment reminds me of this recent Sam Adams beer commercial. I'd love to be like these people , but hugging a Yankees fan will never happen!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For myself it's just a slight reminder on something that I'd maybe try to improve that is quickly forgotten once again soon after making it. :laughing7:

#1-Weight (I would like to gain some weight this year)
#2-Less sugar (Like really-never have succeeded, but me'z keep on making it)
#3-Get more detecting time in-this one really needs to be worked on for 2024 :headbang:

Just from hearing many times from folks over 6.5 decades the "New Years Resolution" is going to be X.

I really have to wonder if it's just a seed planted in one's own brain, that it actually comes to fruition at some point down the road.

How many really make a "New Years Resolution"?

Like to hear what folks think about this actually.
Gain weight? I wish I had your problem.
Just put more coins in your pockets. 🤪

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my resolutions involve how I treat people. I want to be more positive, helpful, nurturing, empathetic and friendly. Less negative, demeaning, sarcastic and judgmental. I need to be more tolerant, at times (not across the board). I still have standards and still believe wrong is wrong. I’m not caving; just need to be less condescending in some situations.
I also plan to be more useful to those who rely on me.
That is exactly me too. Thanks for the post. 👍

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure I make resolutions, but I make a commitment to learn or teach myself a new skill each year. This year it was learning to restore and correctly season the cast iron pans I've accumulated through the years. The motive for that was to get rid of my modern pans that are lined with Teflon, ceramic or other chemical coatings. I was successful. My goal for 2024 is to teach myself how to play a bukkehorn.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I'm not sure I make resolutions, but I make a commitment to learn or teach myself a new skill each year. This year it was learning to restore and correctly season the cast iron pans I've accumulated through the years. The motive for that was to get rid of my modern pans that are lined with Teflon, ceramic or other chemical coatings. I was successful. My goal for 2024 is to teach myself how to play a bukkehorn.
I’m hoping to acquire a trombone. Never touched one, but really want to learn it. Good luck with your plan.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get serious about building that fallout shelter I've been thinking about since 1966.
Interesting that 57 yrs later it still is on the to-do list.
The topography of the my property allows an easy for building some sort of shelter/root cellar.
I have a clay pit dug out of a slope, that would accommodate a 40' sea container.
Still a thought for us going forward.
Happy New Years-And I hope that you'll be putting the build to rest in 2024.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I make daily goals, and long-term goals. But don't normally do new year resolution.
But I think at the top would get more time in the fields.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The topography of the my property allows an easy for building some sort of shelter/root cellar.
I have a clay pit dug out of a slope, that would accommodate a 40' sea container.
Not a concern of mine to build such as thing as a fall-out shelter.

No worries. I'll never build anything such as a fallout shelter. I just happened to watch Oppenheimer a few days ago. It made me recall those time when even in grade school you were educated on the various types of fallout shelters and plans of action in the event of a nuclear attack. Looking back at that, it's almost like the public schools were trying to influence us kids to remind our parents of the seriousness of having a plan of survival. Maybe even bring up the idea of having your own fallout shelter at home with your parents.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a concern of mine to build such as thing as a fall-out shelter.

No worries. I'll never build anything such as a fallout shelter. I just happened to watch Oppenheimer a few days ago. It made me recall those time when even in grade school you were educated on the various types of fallout shelters and plans of action in the event of a nuclear attack. Looking back at that, it's almost like the public schools were trying to influence us kids to remind our parents of the seriousness of having a plan of survival. Maybe even bring up the idea of having your own fallout shelter at home with your parents.
Probably if one is needed for such a reason the world would be pretty much messed up for living anyways.

I grew up with a root cellar that was in the clay bank-mainly for preserves canning jars, winter vegetables, apples.
We have a 11'x13' cold room but it's pretty full most times.
Root cellar provides areas of storage root vegetables in sand.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably if one is needed for such a reason the world would be pretty much messed up for living anyways.

I grew up with a root cellar that was in the clay bank-mainly for preserves canning jars, winter vegetables, apples.
We have a 11'x13' cold room but it's pretty full most times.
Root cellar provides areas of storage root vegetables in sand.
Having one of those sounds like a good idea. I can't believe what all the holiday Thanksgiving and Christmas meals ran in cost this last year, now that me and mama are the host to so many more coming over.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Having one of those sounds like a good idea. I can't believe what all the holiday Thanksgiving and Christmas meals ran in cost this last year, now that me and mama are the host to so many more coming over.
A feller dropped over yesterday to wish us New Years yesterday. Nice guy always living out of the box so to speak.

He was commenting that he gifted one his grow lights to another person-6 tube affair.
I said that sounded interesting and he said "Do you want one?"
Sure- for starting the seed/seedlings off over the early spring.

Nothing beats growing our own food-build a turkey shed just pre winter to have it ready this spring for turkey's once again.
Might get some meat chickens as well-haven't decided on this yet.
Nothing compares to an organic free range bird over a caged/factory raised meat bird.

This photo was 8/29/21
20210829_135612.jpg

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really have a resolution. Life has changed the last two years. I suppose I just want to try to enjoy the time I have left. I hadn't detected the last two years but made a hard come back in November. Found some kewl relic's. I got out all weekend, Saturday was a junk day :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3: Sunday was ok found clad then a wheat then more clad, did find my second model T grease cap in as many weeks. Went with a buddy to a field school that we have hunted the crap out of. He found the first merc 1928. I was using the nox and it still has me baffled :BangHead: Found junk as usual, dug a few dimes and quarters and one penny. I finally ended up in front of the school and was doing the sidewalk area. Bing, found my first silver of the year, a 1928 merc. Now what's the chances of both of us finding the same year? At that point he was ready to go so that was the end of the day. I suppose the moral of the story is this: Life changes in half a heart beat so try to make the best of what you have left, I suppose that's my resolution for the year. :icon_thumright:
:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make resolutions and goals regularly, but I typically shy away from sharing them with people. The reason for this is because of a study I read once that made a lot of sense to me. The conclusion was that you are less likely to accomplish a goal if you share it with people vs. keeping it to yourself. The reason for this is because sharing a plan/goal gives you a similar dopamine rush as accomplishing the goal, making you less likely to actually do it. Just a little food for thought.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make resolutions and goals regularly, but I typically shy away from sharing them with people. The reason for this is because of a study I read once that made a lot of sense to me. The conclusion was that you are less likely to accomplish a goal if you share it with people vs. keeping it to yourself. The reason for this is because sharing a plan/goal gives you a similar dopamine rush as accomplishing the goal, making you less likely to actually do it. Just a little food for thought.

That may be true, but sharing the goal also gives it an existence apart from you, and might make you feel more accountable to follow through, since you told others your intention.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread