What's new

newbie all around

keeblerelf

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey just thought i'd stop in here and say hello, name's kirby but i'll answer to keeblerelf....mmm cookies. just got into metal detecting a few weeks ago. received my ace 250 in the mail 3 days ago and i love it so far. i live in east texas on a piece of property that i know has been inhabited for at least 70 years, so i figured i'd make a start right in my own front yard. i know and understand the basics, but i'm having a few bits of difficulty with cutting plugs while digging holes. everything ends up just a jumbled mess of dirt and i'd hate to metal detect someone's nice lawn if i can figure out how to put it back nice and clean...any tips or other thoughts would be great!

keeblerelf
kirby
 
Well for one do not dig in a yard if the ground is dry. If it is dry it will break up and make a mess when you put it back. I like to make sure the ground is damp and the dirt holds together, this may just be me but when I am done you can not tell I have been there. I normally cut a horseshoe plug and bent it back. Then have a piece of cloth to put the dirt that you take out of the hole so when you are done finding your target you can dump the dirt back into the hole then put the plug back and then put a little of pressure on it and you are done. Good luck and keep us posted on your finds........Matt
 
Congrats on your 1st detector....& welcome to the site!
 
ah, maybe that's my problem so far, it's been really dry here. First 6 finds are 2 pull tabs, 2 199? pennies(these are so corroded i cant read them), 1 1968 penny, and an old GM vehicle door key in surprisingly good shape.

keeblerelf
kirby
 
Welcome to the Forum........Happy Hunting.... :icon_thumleft:
 
Im right there with you buddy...just got mine for xmas ...been out a couple of times justing getting the hang of it ..found budlight top..2 miller light can..1983 dime..and 2 parts of a toy train..lol...and cut my finger on one of the cans...i live in western md ...going in the mountains and near the CW battlefields next ...have fun
 
As a semi newb I will tell you this......You will get to know your machine as you use it more. I have a cheap vlf that I got last year and found quite a bit in my yard. Mostly junk at first but once I used it more I was pulling wheat after wheat out along with other clad. I am borrowing my dads now and it took me a week or so to get use to it. I have since found silver clad wheats and one gold plated ring. check out my posts. as far as dry ground thing goes ....I totally agree. Where Im from the winter frost does the same as dry ground only difference being the temperature can help. above 35 and it will loosen enough to place back in neatly.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom