Newbie, and why not? Oh and do you know what this is?

DaisiLou

May 1, 2011
I've had a metal detector since I was 10. I lost interest in it at 10.5, lol...

Honestly, I'm one of those people (blame it on the Gemini in me) who picks up a hobby and then runs with it full force for a while, and then just as quickly as it starts, I lose interest.

So, yesterday, I decide that I need a new hobby, and I dug out the two detectors in my house. One, which I know is at least 25 years old, and one we bought for my child 5+ years ago, that she used for approximately 7 seconds before declaring she was done.

When I got off work yesterday, I set off in my yard! I was excited to find a plethora of nails!

Today, I even found aluminum cans, screws, old lawnmower parts, a whole treasure trove of......junk! LOL

But then...I found this buckle, and I doubt it's very old, but it's bugging the crap outta me. I've googled belt buckles, dog collars, horse harnesses, and nada....

The word on the buckle is HARPER, and I found it about 2 inches under the ground in Johnston County, NC.

Anyone have any ideas?

buckle1.JPG

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, it just looks like a kind of old belt buckle to me. But welcome back to the hobby.

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a buckle from a horse or mule halter.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep looking some times you gotta clean up the trash to get to any good stuff.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, ya never know what your gonna find!! And its always a thrill when something good pops up that hasen't seen the light of day for years and probably wouldn't unless you did it!! That's what ya learn here, best way to hone your skills, places to go to increase the probability of finding good things, and history of treasure. Read some of the threads here and ya just might become addicted for a lifetime!! JR

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sure does look like a halter buckle !!cool find !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread