Newbie finds....

Chris Miller

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting back into this after 15+ years or so. And back then it wasn't a serious deal for me... I went detecting with my grandfather and only owned a cheap radio shack detector myself as I was just a kid. Never did find anything good then.

Anyway... we're way the heck down here in SW Texas on the border of Mexico (Big Bend) and just hunting on our own land and friends land for now. Not really sure what to expect but these were the stomping grounds of Pancho Villa and his crew, Jack Pershing and the Buffalo Soldiers, Apache & Comanche indians, and the original Spaniards. More recently it's just been hunters and the occasionally off-gridder who has tried to make a stand out here but has failed.

Not even sure where to begin as most of this region has been completely uninhabited forever now. Mexico and Spain referred to the land as "El Despoblado (the uninhabited land) and there is without a doubt more indian artifacts out here than there are metals but we're going to keep trying anyway.

Anyway.... we haven't found much yet but here are some pics from the last 2 days. Our front 5 acres or so has been a hunt camp for the last 30-40 years so it's just covered with live ammo, shell casings, lead, etc. The metal with the holes in it - no idea what that is. Found it on a piece of our property that would have only ever been crossed by an occasional hunter. The thing next to it we have ID'd as a pin to a rock saw so that was probably left behind just a few months ago when the phone company buried our phone line.

The other photos are just "stuff". The shoe is interesting since it's too small to be a horseshoe. I am guessing it came off of a burro. When this place was a mining area 100 years ago they did use burros for mining activities and later turned them loose and there are now wild burros all over. Not sure how old it is, but my guess is that it came from one of those. Or perhaps from a rancher years ago who was driving cattle across this wide open valley in front of our place.

2013-06-28 at 17-46-38.jpg 2013-06-28 at 20-54-44.jpg 421863_10151503637118597_1615590275_n.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
C

Chris Miller

Jun 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little history on our region.... in Music form. :)

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be something down there...keep digging. Welcome to TN! Nice finds too! I like the shoe. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread