Newbie from Michigan - First quick hunt!

Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Cameron from Michigan here. Just picked up my first detector the other day on a whim - Garret 250 Ace. I recently moved to Ferndale Michigan which has a fair amount of history to it (and limited water which cuts my fishing time way down), thus my decision to pick up this exciting hobby!

Anyhow, I made my first adventure down the street to an old park which dates back to late 1800's based on what I've read. I was limited to about 2 hours due to the on/off storming that has been going on today, but I left very satisfied with my first outing.

My finds: $0.26 in change, a broken belt buckle (no digging required! right on the surface :icon_thumleft:), half of a key, and the prize (for me) a 1946 wheat penny!
MD_Finds_11-17-13.JPG

Perhaps not much for some of you veteran folks here, but for me an inspirational find as I assume if I can find one, I'll probably find more!

Upvote 4

cahil_2

Apr 27, 2012
West. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab e-trac,
Garrett Pro pointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator 31 Digger, Minelab pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. You gotta start somewhere. Where is ferndale in relation to muskegon.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did better than I did today. welcome to the forum!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you put yourself into old sites you will have success. It's all about putting in the out and putting yourself in the right spots. Good job and best of luck to you

Spaceport

Nov 17, 2013
Thats a great hunt first or not....never knowing what you may dig is a great feeling to watch unfold....congrats and welcome to a great hobby.....took me a few months to get my first wheat but I definately will never forget it.....keep finding wheats and your bound to find the silver.HH

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting in the time :-) sorry

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:WELCOME........Ahab8 is right. Do a bit of research and you will hooked. Still see lots of good stuff posted from the parks but the more you find the more you will want to get into the older sites. We all get lucky now and then and stumble upon one but most of the folks that post the best stuff live eat and breath the research. Great start, and again welcome to Tnet.

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work! It's addicting for sure. The storms/tornadoes were pounding Indiana and Illinois today. I was just thinking it would be a great day to hunt when the temps were reaching 70 in November today but then the heavens let loose.

OP
OP
B
Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the welcome notes! I'll definitely be hitting the park tomorrow after work assuming the forecast doesn't change and the rain stays away!

@cahil_2 - Ferndale is metro-Detroit area. Borders the city limits of Detroit actually.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! Those are awesome finds, and you're into the wheats already! They do call this "dirt fishing" lol!

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember my first wheat, what a great feeling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread