🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Mishawakian, congrats on the new gig!

I've been in contact via e-mail w/ Greg, so where are the rest of the Michiana detectorists?

You mention Mishawaka Hills, ya mean around the Sisters' house? I was always under the assumption that the Nuns were highly protective of their land.

What about Rum Village? Or George Wilson Park as a suggestion for a goup hunt.

Not sure if Mishawaka Hills is the correct name of the park I am thinking of. I know where the sisters house is and that has 8 foot high fencing around it if that is the one you are talking about. The place I am referring to is on Dragoon Trail as well, but I think it is firther west of the Sister's House. It has a bunch of hills wear I went sledding and tubing years ago, and I think there are cross country ski trails as well. I just did a Google Earth and my Mishawaka Hills is George Wilson Park. I thought about Rum Village, but not sure how good the area is thug wise. Do you need a gun in that area? ;D
We went to Leeper, but it was a short hunt, as we were out on a scouting mission hitting the Mishawaka Parks just to see what all there was.

Later
DJH

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
I might be able to do a hunt this saturday...not sure what the wife has for "us" to do yet tho.
I did the park across the street from rum village just 2 days ago,I spent about 2 hrs doing the edge of the basketball court...Im not easily intimidated,but some guys did start to crowd me after they had already been playing on the other side of the court (clutched my digger a bit tighter) ,so I moved away from them casually and edged towards the ball field...LOTS AND LOTS of pull tabs,and not much to brag about,might be a good place for a group hunt...better in numbers?!
The other park on Dragoon is George Wilson...Ive found a few wheats and lots of clad there but no jewelry or silver,but there has to be something there...Im easy so Ill leave it up to y'all. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mishawakian

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
My favorite park is Bendix park in Mishawaka.I have dug about $20.00 in coins,no pennies.I assume maybe at one time there was a game of finding coins in a haystack or some kind of ritual,(family reunion) but I have found lots of coins in 2 different areas.
George Wilson Hills is full of bottle caps and pulltabs.Elm road school the same.When I was younger I would watch fireworks at Wilson Hills.I went to Elm in the 70's.What about Fulmer and Boner schools?
I went and detected Kamms Island only to recover a 16"x 10" piece of plated iron.I properly disposed of this iron in a charcoal grill,nearby.
If you are going to tot lots,Batell school has some mixed up kinda sod/pete mess growing there and you will need a weed eater to get under 2 inches.
The schools around here are newly built.
I was going to suggest a hunt on the properties that are being demolished for the new highway being built on Capitol.

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
I spoke with a guy from the state last fall about those houses and he didnt have a problem with hunting there but he did say that it would be up to the contrator as he would be responsible for liabilities...there are 2 contrators doing the demolition 1 north of 12 street and 1 for south. If anyone has the time today would be great if you saw anyone working there to stop and ask,as I think Ivy Walls have found some good finds there but I do know he has done some diggin there,although I dont know if he had permission so they may have been "quick" hunts. I have to go work on a boat in mI today but if I get back in town today Ill drive by the area and ask if I see someone.

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mishawakian said:
George Wilson Hills is full of bottle caps and pulltabs.Elm road school the same.When I was younger I would watch fireworks at Wilson Hills.I went to Elm in the 70's.What about Fulmer and Boner schools?

I was going to suggest a hunt on the properties that are being demolished for the new highway being built on Capitol.
Boner School looks good from the Satellite views, but I have never been over that way. Has it been converted into a house? Kinda looks like it from space. Not sure where Fulmer School is. I think with a number of people at one time in George Wilson Park might be good. That's alot of ground to cover and we could form some sort of a line. I know the pulltab situation can be distrubing at times, but it just might be worth it with a number of detectorists all at one time. Who knows, that 1 pulltab could be the first ring for someone. Being from Elkhart, it's a bit hard to get over by the construction areas. I will be over that way on Saturday and thought about driving by Boner School area to see what it looks like from ground level.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming!!!

XGregX started a newer thread dedicated to hunt ideas so take a look at it in the Indiana Forum section.

HH and let's hunt
DJH

OP
OP
mishawakian

mishawakian

Feb 16, 2009
Mishawaka,Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizum IV
While we are on the subject of detecting Mishawaka,a permit is required.It was free and only took a couple of minutes of my time.If I am to detect why not do it legally?

I cannot detect this weekend,I have chores to do.

Next weekend I can spare a few hours for a meet and greet hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread