Newbie from Wichita

ShelbyWeidler

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2018
Wichita, KS
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all!

I am excited to see other Kansans! While I don’t MD, I have been Rockhounding for less than a year, I’m hooked. I really want to learn how to cut slabs and polish them. I live in Wichita, KS and am not sure where to start looking for education on cutting rocks. I’m clumsy and don’t want to lose a finger. I’m going to wait for some formal education! In the last year I’ve been collecting in Sedona AZ, Sagaro AZ, Cleaveland GA, Crater of Diamonds and Mt. Ida AR, Outside Denver CO, Eldorado KS, TalaQuah OK. I dragged home huge boulders from Wegner Crystal Mine and have been picking on them to reveal the crystals. I love it.

I am also interested in hunting for artifacts and fossils. Looking forward to hearing about your finds.

MDKamper

Jul 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I don't know much about rocks but I am sure someone on this site does. Good luck!

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may already be aware of this, but Kansas has only three locations of natural igneous rocks. There is a Kimberlite "pipe" located in Riley County - no evidence of diamonds, though. There is also a Lamproite "pipe" near Yates Center (Woodson Co.), and a granite outcropping in the same area. I believe there is a quarry/gravel pit at the location of one of them, that does allow exploring, if you ask permission. The granite is thought to be a large "raft" of solidified ancient granite that has been pushed up from deeper in the surface. Extreme southeast Kansas (Cherokee County) has some lead/galena and zinc deposits. I have found many fossils (mostly shells, coral, and marine plants) in both sandstone and limestone outcrops and even in gravel hauled in to road repair and building construction sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread