Newbie here-good afternoon

trapperray

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2008
Just got into the metal detecting arena? My questions are endless needless to say,reading this web site is great for news and ideas. Now I ask where in Iowa is there a good reputable shop for metal detectors, new or used? I saw of the club thats getting together in the Des Moines area, couple miles farther than I care to drive( gas prices) nothing personnal Des Moines area folks. Can you buy a used starter detector for decent money, I don't plan on getting rich, but then I don't want to stick a lot of money in one at first, I figure if the bug bits me I may up grade later! Take care and try to stay dry, later Ray.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I know Randy's Rec Room in Renwick (small town 25 miles northeast of Fort Dodge) carries Whites. There used to be a hobby store in Ames that carries some. They moved to Des Moines somewhere I think. Not sure where. I went to my local Wal Mart and bought a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 for $198. The Pioneer 202 is the same as the Quick Draw II. What part of the state do you live in?

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
what part of iowa Ray?

JamesE

Welcome Ray,
I have a new low end PI for sale, fairly deep but no discrimination, $150. If you could be a little more specific about where you are, it'd be easier for folks to be helpful. NE IA is 150 miles wide and 100 miles tall!!
I also havea couple of Tesoros and a couple of Whites you could try to see what feels right for ya'. (they ain't for sale though)
jim Benton County

OP
OP
T

trapperray

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2008
Good morning Jim, I'm located in Cedar Falls. Iwould like to view/try a couple of differant units to see how they feel/sound etc. You sound as if you have a couple of differant units to try out! I figure that the detectors are like shotguns, they all do the same basic thing, just how do they feel in your hands, maybe a weird comparison, but I think you might understand what I'm saying. Later Ray and thanks for the reply. ;D ;D :thumbsup:

JamesE

Here's a couple of IA Dealers, Don't know if they're still in business.
Sun Ray in Hazelton---319-636-2244
IA Metal Detector's 918 Reed St. in Waterloo 319-833-0018
There's also a store that's run by a husband and wife team somewhere close to you, maybe the Des Moines group knows them. The Sun Ray folks were really helpful when I spoke with them last year.
Hope this helps. jim

OP
OP
T

trapperray

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2008
Thanks for the reply, forgot about Diane in Hazelton, used to buy all my chicks(poultry) from her years ago! Later Ray. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions