NEWBIE HERE JUST SAYING HELLO....

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just wanted to say hello. Tonight, after doing my homework on it, and lurking here in the Forum for over a month, I finally purchased my Garrett ACE 250!. I put it together, did some bench tests, watched the DVD, and I am now ready to go. I can't wait to take it out this weekend. I am praying for nice weather!!!. I have a long list of places that I want to search, and cannot wait to see what I come up with. This seems like a very fun, addictive hobby just by reading what alot of you have posted over the weeks. Looks like there's many exciting treasures to be found! I promise to send pictures of my first couple of finds!WISH ME LUCK!!!

dtsnmike240z

Mar 7, 2007
missouri for now
Detector(s) used
ace 250
sounds like my story,. just a heads up. i said almost the same thing as you about a couple weeks ago. I havn't found much. and at first it was very VERY dissaponting. you read a couple post on a gold coin, or some real nice rings and think, I got this coverd. i'm gonna find a bunch.
well not saying your not. It's just gonna take perhaps a little more research, and patience than you want to invest at first,.. dont give up!! mding seems to strike at the oddest time possible. I just read a bunch of post that people found thier first real find, years into the hobby, and at the most unlikely place,(the very place they started to detect 10 yrs ago, but never found anything.) or the back yard. or they were just driving down the road and decided to pull over.
well, any way let me get back on track here. I realy hope you find a cache on your first day!! however,, it is very unlikely.
save all your clad! every penny you find is a penny you didn't have. also remember you are pulling things out of the ground, that may or may not be old. most metals simply degrade over time, but soil conditions realy speed things up too. you are gonna pull a lotta trash.
as long you have time to to get out once or twice a week, and learn to appreciate the smaller finds, you are about to embark on one of the coolest hobbies out there.
the big ones will come.
hh and the best of luck
mike

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
dtsnmike240z said:
sounds like my story,. just a heads up. i said almost the same thing as you about a couple weeks ago. I havn't found much. and at first it was very VERY dissaponting. you read a couple post on a gold coin, or some real nice rings and think, I got this coverd. i'm gonna find a bunch.
well not saying your not. It's just gonna take perhaps a little more research, and patience than you want to invest at first,.. dont give up!! mding seems to strike at the oddest time possible. I just read a bunch of post that people found thier first real find, years into the hobby, and at the most unlikely place,(the very place they started to detect 10 yrs ago, but never found anything.) or the back yard. or they were just driving down the road and decided to pull over.
well, any way let me get back on track here. I realy hope you find a cache on your first day!! however,, it is very unlikely.
save all your clad! every penny you find is a penny you didn't have. also remember you are pulling things out of the ground, that may or may not be old. most metals simply degrade over time, but soil conditions realy speed things up too. you are gonna pull a lotta trash.
as long you have time to to get out once or twice a week, and learn to appreciate the smaller finds, you are about to embark on one of the coolest hobbies out there.
the big ones will come.
hh and the best of luck
mike

Wisdom !! Well said...

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it either depends on research or luck or alittle of both! ;) ;) The good stuff will come...just keep the coil to the ground and remember: DIG EVERYTHING!! I just found my first Civil War button and it is made out of brass...However, I had my discrimination turned all the way down to accept everything and it is a good thing I did, because the button sounded like trash..Very cut up scratchy signal, but I am VERY glad thatI dug it!!!! Good luck and the very best to you HH!!

Sentinel

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
Always the element of luck involved ;), saying that though like these guys said "Research, research, research".
Welcome to the forum and all the best of luck.

HH

G

garbage digger

Welcome aboard. I can't wait to see what kind of great discoveries you make.

SEMPER FI

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2007
Erie, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome aboard and good luck. I too am a newbie from Pa. I'm in the NW part, how about you? Just got my detector last week. Watched the video and all set to go out the next day and what do you know!!!! about 4" of new snow. But now the snow is all gone and I should get out for the first time this weekend. HH to you.

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)
Welcome to the forums! Nice to see another MDer on the site. We need all the support we can get, and give all that we can give!

Im a newbie too, but these people are great. I read every post that was here under new finds before getting my MDer. Yes..... I mean EVERY ONE OF THEM! I got a lot of good advice, tips and pointers and made a few friends to boot and have only been joined up for about three weeks!

Good luck with the finds and post lots of pics. Money, jewelry, silver, gold, junk, relics..... its all the same to us. Look forward to seeing you online!.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Welcome!

Heres what I would do if I were you. This will get you "into" the research end of detecting and at the same time will for SURE yield plenty.
Either online or at your local library, find out and create a list of all the schools within say 10 miles from where you live. Place this info into a spreadsheet (if you are familiar with spreadhseets they allow you to sort the data however you want)

On separate columns place the school's name, construction date, address, zip

I even then used satellite photos of each with a number assigned to each school. You can look at the lay of the land of each school and see which ones have large playgrounds or athletic fields.

Now you can sort the list by oldest schools first....or by zip code so they are grouped together by location.

Long story short...start detecting athletic fields...the older the better. No matter how much they have been hunted, they are loaded with coins and other do-dads (rings, necklaces, pendants, etc)
You will quickly find coins with that ACE. Once you start feeling more confident, branch out!

Here's an example of one I did for Cleveland Ohio schools...and these are for schools from 1935 or older ONLY. I have found a LOT of nice silver and TONS of clad this way

School Name Address zip code date built satellite photo
Artemus Ward / Cleveland Learning Ctr. 7901 Halle Ave. 44102 1904 file#1
Almira 3380 W. 98th. St. 44102 1916 no grass left
Louisa May Alcott 10308 Baltic Rd. 44102 1926
Audubon 3055 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. 44104 1922
Paul Revere 10706 Sandusky Ave. 44105 1925
Mound 5405 Mound Ave. 44105 1904 very little grass left
Miles Park at Moses Cleveland 11918 Miles Ave. 44105 1912 file#2
Albert B. Hart 3901 E. 74th. St. 44105 1932
Nathan Hale 3588 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. 44105 1928
Patrick Henry 11901 Durant Ave. 44108 1922
Empire 9113 Parmalee Ave. 44108 1915 very little grass left
Benjamin Franklin 1905 Spring Rd. 44109 1923
William Cullen Bryant 3121 Oak Park Ave. 44109 1930
Henry W. Longfellow 650 E. 140th. St. 44110 1924
Collinwood 15210 St. Clair Ave. 44110 1924
Wilbur Wright 11005 Parkhurst Dr. 44111 1920 file#3
McKinley 3349 W. 125th. St. 44111 1922
Louis Agassiz 3595 Bosworth Rd. 44111 1929
John Marshall 3952 W. 140th. St. 44111 1932
Tremont Montessori 2409 W. 10th St. 44113 1917 file#4
Oliver Hazzard Perry 18400 Schenely Ave. 44119 1927
Sunbeam 11731 Mt. Overlook Ave. 44120 1935
Robert K. Fulton 3291 E. 140th. St. 44120 1929
Charles Dickens 3552 E. 131st. St. 44120 1927
Miles Park at Moses Cleveland 4092 E. 146th. St. 44128 1925
James Ford Rhodes 5100 Biddulph Ave. 44144 1932
Cleveland School of the Arts (main camp) 2064 Stearns Rd. 1910

1935 or older

OP
OP
PATreasureHunter

PATreasureHunter

Mar 22, 2007
Lititz, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for all your comments. I am approaching this hobby as a way to just get out there, get some exercise, and have a little fun. I figured that I might have good days, bad days, and days with no finds, or trash finds; but it comes with the hobby. If I DO find anything substantial, I will probably post them on ebay, as an effort to pay off my ACE250. But who knows? if I do end up finding something, maybe I'll get attached to it, and won't want to sell it!

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Canada
Ahh I remember that first detector and how I would find a box full of old coins.Havent found it yet [yet being the word of note].But if you try you will definately find wonderful things that you can take pleasure in knowing you are the first pearson in 100 years to hold that item [or 400 years if your Dugfinds ;D].The joy of detective work,who dropped it ,why,was it all they had etc etc etc.I love to detect very early and once had 10 deer come within 30 feet of me.I stood pefectly stil and watched them jump and play like I have never seen before or since and it was beautiful.As all the members here can tell you there is so much more that detecting can bring,not just the finds,but friends - history - exercise - fresh air - adventure - thrill of the hunt and altimately thrill of the find.
Good Hunting and like Mike said dont get down if you dont find gold day 1,its coming :o ;D ;)

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Welcome to Tnet! As I always say, you have infinite wisdom and knowledge from the people here. I know I paid attention to what they told me at first and other things I was reading on the forums and it really boosted my confidence AND the level of my finds. I would never have though of digging at a schoolyard...or my OWN yard for that matter. I did, just to get a feel for the detector and found my first ring. A 10k gold 14th level Scottish rite ring. I was hooked. Don't get me wrong though. It took me a bit of time to get used to the Ace250 I got for Christmas. My coin count has skyrocketed and I am finally getting the feel for her.

All I can say is, Stick around. Enjoy these forums and LISTEN to the ones who are getting the cool stuff. You are in a GREAT area to MD and I imagine you will be posting some beauties of your own soon.

Happy hunting
~Nash~

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Welcome aboard! Good luck with your hunting, and remember, it's not always what you find, but what you are learning everytime you go out....just the fact that you are getting out, enjoying the hobby, and doing SOMETHING, you will be successful every time!
HH
Sean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread