Newbie looking for feedback on due diligence

Segway

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Really excited that I found this site while trying to research what I believe to be worked items.

Very new to this hobby but have always loved history and the thought of finding something someone made and used, perhaps thousands of years in the past is amazing to my mind.

I am really on my own with this so to get highly experienced feedback even if it isn?t what I want to hear will make my eyes better in the future!

All these finds are from the same creek in Missouri but were found at different times and areas.

I believe items on the far left to be a broken Etley point, broken unidentifiable point but possibly fluted?, corner notched base, base only of a Gary point? Finishing with Mississippian Triangles maybe??
Bottom center thumb scrapers, top center a fish? Lol no idea really but looks cool and worked, far right a bone Awl and drills. So nervous that I just have it all wrong and need more knowledge but I have read a lot of this forum and believe there are expert opinions, good or bad! Thank you for any input and your time.

Steven

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpg
    IMG_3353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3351.jpg
    IMG_3351.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Need pictures of both sides to determine some, picture #3 top row middle left looks like a tip with a impact fracture and the next to the right is a base. Bottom row far left also looks like a tip. The 2 bottom pieces appears to be waste shards.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?d say from those pics you have a really nice base, and I think your fluted one looks more like a type of break, looks like a pot lid fracture, but it doesn?t look like the stone has been hot. The one next to the nickel in the middle looks like a bone fragment that?s been chewed by a rodent, notice how each mark is paired. The others next to the bone look natural and the rest need better pics but could be flakes, uniface tools, or bifaces, but look good for artifacts

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Segway

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly grateful for the early feedback, thanks everyone!! I will take some more pictures and post ASAP!
On what I thought to be a bone awl I was letting my imagination run, now that you mentioned the pairing of the bite marks it makes total sense, good call Older the better! Perhaps the same case with the drills but I will take further pics and send of those to make sure.

Will stick with good lithic material for a baseline, don’t want to think I have something special when all I have is dirty bone chewed by a rodent! Lol Thanks again everyone!!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some are good. Fewer in a pic would help. I'll also go with the knawed bone.

OP
OP
S

Segway

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok round two! Dropped the rat bone and one that I thought to be a scraper, thinking it is a waste flake now thanks to comments. Sticking with my thought that the other is a scraper though so took more pics. The thing just fits in the hand and is razor sharp, like skill and purpose went into it.

This is so awesome and thank you!!

Attachments

• Group A  (1).jpg
    Group A (1).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • Group A  (2).jpg
    Group A (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • item B (1).jpg
    item B (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • Item B (2).jpg
    Item B (2).jpg
    763.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Group C (1).jpg
    Group C (1).jpg
    649.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Group C (2).jpg
    Group C (2).jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Item D (1).jpg
    Item D (1).jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Item D (2).jpg
    Item D (2).jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 35

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Steven and welcome to Treasure Net. The only piece I feel comfortable calling an artifact is the piece here with the red star I edited onto it. I think the long skinny one in pics 4 & 5 has creek chatter from tumbling in moving water. You have a good eye for this so keep searching and good luck.

Group A  (1).jpg

OP
OP
S

Segway

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the insight T! On the piece you feel comfortable with, I tried to match the base to get an idea of type and period. Closest seems to be Etley for the archaic period, thoughts on that would be most welcome. Or thoughts on the other items

The long piece probably another imagination gone wrong again thinking maybe best to pay more attention to the material type rather then imaging a pre paleo artifact before they quarried chert. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread