Newbie looking for first metal detector advice.

Alcyone

Jul 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I am new here and to the hobby - was hoping I could use the groups combined experience in choosing the best metal detector for my needs. Thanks in advance for any insight you all can provide!

I live in the California SF Bay Area, and I am not sure what type of soil this is, but I am guessing its pretty mineralized. I'm looking for a detector that can detect gold, but not really for prospecting - just finding gold jewelry or coins as well as other metal objects. I plan to use it at parks, beaches, fields, etc - so I would want something that would work well in sandy / wet areas. I'd also like something that can detect fairly deep - from what I have been reading 6 inches seems a common depth and it would be nice to get deeper than that.

Ideally, it seems like getting something that can be upgraded would be a good idea? Or do most people just buy a new detector? My max budget is about $300.

Thanks!

You didn't say whether it was salt water beaches or fresh. That being said, I would look at a Garrett 350 though it does not do well in wet salt sand. Might be a bit over the max of 300 but take a look at it on kellyco's website.

There are lots of great machines here on TN.

This is a good one, for a good price.

You will never be satisfied with only one machine, because one machine doesn't do everything well. Got to start with one sometime... then add on as you can.

I would look at the Eurotek Pro. A great machine with good audio, very fast recover speed, and adjustable iron audio.

Last edited:
$300 really limits the options, suggest finding a used machine. Got my E-Trac used for around 800 or so, after using it cannot go back to other machines hardly.

None of the machines mentioned have adjustable ground balance. You could try a used Vaquero, which does have adjustable GB and I have seen them go for $300. A used CZ-5, CZ-6A, CZ70 run on dual freq 5 & 15 kHz and will work on saltwater beaches but your in the 400-$650 range with those. These knob type machines IMO are the best way to learn where targets fall on the conductivity scale, which is very important in learning the hobby.

Last edited:
Just go to kellyco $ 300 will only get you part of what you want

Do yourself a favor and call another sponsor of the forum. They'll hook you up with a great deal and won't cheap out by giving you accessories that belong in the trash.

None of the machines mentioned have adjustable ground balance. You could try a used Vaquero, which does have adjustable GB and I have seen them go for $300. A used CZ-5, CZ-6A, CZ70 run on dual freq 5 & 15 kHz and will work on saltwater beaches but your in the 400-$650 range with those. These knob type machines IMO are the best way to learn where targets fall on the conductivity scale, which is very important in learning the hobby.

Fletch is correct, Im in Sac just East of you and hit the beaches when ever I can. The Salt/wet water is where $1000 plus machines are needed, when I come down there I use an Excalibur II for the wet and an xterra 705 for the dry. I used the 705 to pay for itself and partially pay for the Excal. Being you live in the bay you need to research a little on the beaches you have already planned to hunt as most of SF bay is off limits tp detecting, we are a lower grade human, at Stinson, we are considered animals and must only hunt where dogs are allowed.

All I ask for you to give me a call so I can better explain what your needs would be. You do not need to go to $1000. White's have recently released the Coinmaster GT, this unit offers an automatic ground balance required for salt water use and heavy mineralized soil conditions. My name is Mark 407-695-7749. Have a great hunt guys.

hi,

i would advice you to get a Teknetics Eurotek PRO which cost around 240/250 bucks! :) its built for european soil which means its for highly mineralized ground..exactly what you wanted! :) its a perfect machine that out competes the ace 250 easily and it has all the features you need.
pinpointer, computerscreen with number identification for different kinds of metal, discrimination, iron indicator etc..

its waterproof to the controle box and is very easy to use for a beginner! as simple as.....you know what i mean! haha

hope this helps you out.

ps: we own this one also and are very content with it! comes with a 5 year warranty so you are covered..lol

have fun and DIG ON!

GK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back