Newbie - Looking for suggestions :)

JerseyGirl71

Jul 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I have been wanting to get into treasure hunting (as my kids call it) for awhile now.
As I have a birthday coming up, I have decided that it is time to jump in.

I have read numerous posts and I have noticed some say buy a lesser machine to start out and get a pin point tool.
I see the wisdom in that.

Now... what lesser machine and which pinpoint tool comes recommended.
Hey.. I know you all have your favorites.. but I am looking to narrow down my selection.

For the record.. I live less then an hour from Wildwood, AC, and Cape May and plan to do some beach treasure hunting as well as scoping out the tot lots in my area while the kids are playing.
I have 4 kids..ages 10,8,6, and 5. I really hope to get them interested in something other then video games and Disney.

Thanks!
Mary

Garrett pro pointer and Garrett ace 350 metal detector

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

JerseyGirl, I started with ace 250 and then quickly upgraded to AT Pro. My thinking was that I didn't want to spend too much till I knew I would get a lot of use out of the detector. In hindsight I should have just got the AT Pro first. It's a nice machine for the money and its waterproof. On the other hand, by starting with the 250, now I have a loaner machine so I can take someone with me who wants to learn. I would definitely recommend you get a Garrett pin pointer. It makes it so much more fun and your kids could help with the pinpointing. I bought my AT Pro from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and I highly recommend using him. Ask for Tnet discount. He gave me a great deal.

I would suggest going to a local dealer and personally handling a couple of detectors and find out more about each of them. Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Cibola or Silver uMax, Fisher F2 are all good entry level machines.

You will be coinshooting. Leave treasure hunting to the pro's. Buy a used machine and fuggetabout pinpointers for now.

I agree, a used higher end machine with superior discrimination is your best bet. That's how I got my first machine. I bought it 15 years ago and to date have found no good reason to upgrade. :)

View attachment 825875

You did not mention what your budget was so I will give a couple suggestions. I do believe the AT PRO is an excellent choice. Although I do not have one the reviews look very good. The White's MXT is another great choice. Actually there are several machines that will work for you. And yes the Garrett Pro Pointer is highly recommended. Also check this site out as it may answer a lot of your questions Best Metal Detectors Reviews - Metal Detector Reviews

Thanks!

I think at this time $300 is the budget.
It would have been more, but Vineland decided to go to uniforms this year AFTER I hit the clearance at Kohls and had already outfitted the 4 kids for school and church. Yep...it was an awesome sale...90% off everything and I had an additional 30% off coupon.
Anyhow, I had to set aside $400 for uniform shopping.

I will check out that review site....
I am leaning towards the teknetics delta 4000.

I am near the store in Millville - Demarco Detectors and will stop n there and check out what they have.

I have been reading this forum a lot and reading what people have been saying about their machines.

I look at it like sewing. I sew and I am partial to a particular brand while others may hate that brand.
Bottom line is that my sewing machine has the stitches I use regularly and I know the settings that work right for me and the fabric.

I am approaching the MD's the same way...just a bit confused...LOL

Mary

let me throw something else out there and i am no expert but i am sure some one will chime in.
from what i have read you will need a water type MD to detect the ocean beaches and just a normal MD will not read right.

gleaner1 had it right when he said get a used one. Now for my thoughts. You are trying to do to much, to soon. One detector can't do it all well.

I will suggest you choose what you want to start with, beach or land.

For beach, you only need a detector and a scoop. Pick up a used PI type detector. I am using a 13 year old Whites Surfmaster PI. It will find rings to at least 10" down and boat anchors to at least 2' judging from actual finds. Get a long handled stainless steel, or aluminum scoop, your back will thank you. The holes in the scoop should just be small enough to stop a dime.

For land, There are plenty of good high end used land detectors. Get a general purpose detector. I use a 13 year old Whites XLT. It will find coins, jewelry, and it is easy to use and reliable. It has built in programs or later on you can make your own. It pinopints exactly! something most won't do. Now get a couple of Harbor Freight pinpointers for the kids. They are only $18 each, You can locate the target and the kids can retrieve it . That will get them interested fast. OH, get a couple of those plastic garden hand trowels for the kids to use. Instruct them on proper hole digging and turn them loose to dig. Just a thought for your situation. Frank

gold cross chain.jpgFound with the PI on the beach.ruby gold ring 700.jpgFound with the XLT

Last edited:
My humble opinion, get an ace 250 or 350 and practice recovering targets without the pinpointer just for the experience, and save the first hundred dollars of finds to buy your pinpointer, (you might find you are good at recovery and won't need the pinpointer after all), Wildwood, huh?...WATCH THE TRAMCAR PLEASE! :wave:

My humble opinion, get an ace 250 or 350 and practice recovering targets without the pinpointer just for the experience, and save the first hundred dollars of finds to buy your pinpointer, (you might find you are good at recovery and won't need the pinpointer after all), Wildwood, huh?...WATCH THE TRAMCAR PLEASE! :wave:

I went with the Fisher F2 as a starter.
I am in Vineland....an hour North of Wildwood.
I did get a nice sand scoop with a handle.
Sept I will hit the sand for some fun while the kids are in school.
Taking 4 kids to the beach by myself is crazy.
I will lose the add/ADHD one for sure.....she just wanders off and makes friends with the oddest people.

For now I will stick with the tot lots while the kids are playing.

I can see this becoming an obsession.
Hey...it's a lot safer then my motorcycle riding.

MK

Bobs Little Sport Shop in Glassboro on Delsea Dr is a Whites Dealer.

I'm a Garrett fan but have heard nothing but good things about the F2...post some good finds, happy hunting.

I am In Bridgeton and would love to have someone to go to the beach with in the fall. How can we get together? Or do you even want to? Happy Hunting1

I am In Bridgeton and would love to have someone to go to the beach with in the fall. How can we get together? Or do you even want to? Happy Hunting1

That would be awesome! My kids go back to school Sept 5th....nope...not counting...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back