What's new

Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Ben Gates

Greenie
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
O-Town
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Hi all , new to the hobby and i am looking for some tips to help me get started . We are in the middle of winter so i thought i would try to get as much help as i can before spring comes . Got a brand new Garrett 250 Ace to start good choice ? Real anxious to get started !
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Winter good time for research! Find old schools churches town sites cellar holes that show there used to be a town then get permission and then go have fun! In the mean time schools public parks city property and friends and family propertys and pick their brains get permission then go have fun ck. old news papers microfish history books old maps ect. get permission then go have fun! Then and this is a must too! POST PICS and Let us know about your finds! And welcome to T-net have you been to "MUGS" yet?
 

Attachments

Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Welcome to Tnet, Bill Gates ;D, Oh Ben Gates :icon_sunny: You have a good starter machine there. Check out my posts and see what I have found. I soley hunt in coin mode, notched out junk, use the larger coil and keep the sensitivity at or about 2-3 from max. Usually dig items 4-6 inches. Have gone a little deeper. Good luck and hope to see some of your finds in the future. Ron
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

2 words! GOOGLE EARTH
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Thanks Granny & Ron , great tips looking forward to making the Banner ;D
Mugs ? no not yet
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Well whats stoppin ya hehe! ;D
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Well whats stoppin ya hehe! ;D
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Welcome, I'm new here also. As others have said, now is the time to do research, get permission if needed and scout sites. Be ready to go in the spring. Also, make sure you have a camera and know how to post pics here because we all love pics. :D
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Here's a few tips:
Get a good digger. I got a lesche and have not regretted it.
Go to you tube and put "Metal detector" in the search window. Watch a video on how to dig a plug. Watch some detectorist filmed in the act. Get juiced and learn technique.
Then put "Ace 250" in the search window; there's a good vid from khouse on how to pinpoint with your machine.
I learned a lot from the early posts of RicardoNYC when he used an Ace 250 exclusively.
The Ace 250 has no volume control so if you want to detect without the whole world knowing about it you've got to get headphones with adjustable volume (or you'll blow your ears out.)
There are no "faint" signals from the Ace ; it either goes off or it doesn't.

As for locations, probably where you live is the biggest determinant. I like construction sites and old private home lots while they are changing hands or being landscaped.
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

WELCOME TO TN. AS FOR THE Garrett 250 Ace , DONT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT THE DECTECTER BUT IVE NOTICED ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE FINGING ALOT OF GOODIES WITH THE Garrett 250 Ace . AS FOR LOCATION. START IN YOUR YARD ON ALL MEDAL MODE. LISTEN TO HOW IT SOUNDS OUT. THEN LOOK AROUND PLAYGROUND AREAS AND JUST HAVE FUN.. BUT I WILL SAY THIS AND IVE SAID THIS MANY TIMES... GO BACK GO BACK. IF YOU START MD YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME......HEHE HAVE FUN ;D :tard: :tongue3: :thumbsup:
P.S COVER YOUR HOLES :thumbsup:
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Hi Neighbor!

I am in the same boat you are in. I purchased my detector in November and have only been out a few times. I think I have watched every metal detecting you tube video twice by now! lol Lets all hope for an early spring! Or at least some of the snow melting soon! Best of luck on your future finds!
Thanks,
Michigan Michael
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

I will also hip you guys up on something. Microsoft Virtual Earth 3d Beta. Way more detail than Google earth. When you download the program you can download the 3d beta pack to go with it. Use Birds Eye View to see FAR more Detail at sites and house sites. Very Awesome Program for researching sites.

Here is an example of one of my spots. School yard..
Image_090116_083057.jpg



Just for everyone's info this is a FREE service. Just do a search for Microsoft Virtual Earth.
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Hey I think someone is breaking into my car in the picture above...the detail is pretty amazing. I've used google so I'll have to check this one out.

As far as tips, just learn your machine. Read the manual more then once. I've never used a Ace but learn the different settings and don't be afraid to experiment with them. with all the tips below make sure you are in an area that has no signals first.

Get to know the sounds that the machine makes by creating a test garden inside or outside your house. Use different types of coins: penny, nickel dime, etc. then try using the same type coin in clad and silver. Try a silver ring and a gold ring...well you get the point.

Practice pinpointing by taking a large piece of cardboard and have someone tape coins to one side then put it on the floor with the coins facing the floor. Try finding all the targets then pinpoint where you think they are then mark it on the top...check to see how you did.

Try to get the most depth out of your machine someone on t-net gave me this one. Place a target on the floor then take all different size books and pile them one at a time on top of the target. Checking to see if you can still hear the signal after each book is placed on top. You would want to start with the bigest book first and work your way down. When you finally lose the signal you can take the last book off and use a thinner one then check the signal again. Once you have it to the point you know the deepest signal you can hear then play with the settings. Swing over the target and if you can hear it then place another book. Keep repeating this process until nothing you do gets you more depth. That is your premium setting for the machine. Granted your machine may be too hot and you may have to back some settings down a little once out side but you will learn alot about your machine.

As everyone else stated - Now is the time for research....find those sites you want to hit once the ground thaws.

Best of luck

NJ
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Another good online map site is: http://maps.live.com/ you can get a birds eye view there and you do not have to download anything.

Welcome to TN and have fun!!! Pretty soon you will be looking at things differently. You will be saying "man I wish I could metal detect there!!!" as you are driving by someplace.
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

get permission first, then hit old schools, post offices or any other older building site...
good luck...
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Thanks for all the great tips , Practiced around the house the last few days with coins and jewellery and nails , going to try the book method today :icon_study: . I have seen the youtube videos on the Ace and they are very helpfull , Excited to do hands on stuff OUTDOORS ;D
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Hi Ben a bunch of us put together a Research page which will
help you, I am providing a direct link to the page all you have
do is just click on the LINK, its the actual URL.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/terra

One page that will keep you from running all over the net looking
for stuff, which gets updated as we discover new stuff.

and welcome aboard to the Treasure net Family

Dave
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

I had luck with gravel driveways just try to find a house that dates back pre-40's and 50's and try your luck where people usually park. People are known for droppins all kinds of stuff getting in and out of cars. Old parks with parking lots that are graveled usually yeild plenty of hidden coins. I went to the local park out here that is graveled that nobody goes there too much. Found tons of pennies but yet since it only dates back to the 60's I didn't manage a single wheatie or pre-64 silver.
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Welcome now is the time to do your homework. Go to the library and look at old maps find the land owner and get permission food luck and happy hunting...mlayers
 
Re: Newbie !!! looking for tips & Locations for newbies

Hi Ben. yes, the 250 should be a great starter kit. I got my detector in February last year, so I know how you feel! I used to go to the salt water beaches on days when the temp got up around 40 degrees. Snow and ice on the dry sand, but the wet sand does not freeze. Also, you should think about building yourself a test bed. A testbed, where you bury various things and see how far down you can detect them, is a super way to learn you and your detectors capabilities. For now, you can't do enough research. I thought I had done plenty of research for potential search sites, but I didn't organize my research results. Do research, and organize your results. If you don't, you will forget about good sites to search, and a lot of your research results will sort of become a big blur. Best wishes.

Ben Gates said:
Hi all , new to the hobby and i am looking for some tips to help me get started . We are in the middle of winter so i thought i would try to get as much help as i can before spring comes . Got a brand new Garrett 250 Ace to start good choice ? Real anxious to get started !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom