What's new

Newbie with a question

EllenF

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello,I had planned to introduce myself when I registered but I did not. I have met some in chat here. I have a strange addiction of looking over every coin that comes my way and cashing my paycheck weekly for rolled coins.
Anyways today I have found a 2008-P Oklahoma state quarter that seems to be silver. Now the newbie questions. how can i be sure its silver? (Looks like silver,feels like silver)Wouldn't this quarter have an "s" mintmark if it was silver? ( I can find no evidence that a silver quarter would have a "P" mintmark)The pretty little quarter has me curious.

Thanks,
Ellen
 
Upvote 0
Could just be uncirculated. If it is two toned on the edge with copper and nickel color then it is not silver. You can find the weight of an S mint silver online and weigh the coin. And last but not least is the ping test. If you hold the coin on the tip of your finger and hit it with another coin it will ring like a bell if it is silver.

Golden Silver
 
More than likely you have a plated coin. One way to confirm is to weigh the coin. A true 90% silver quarter will weigh 6.25 grams and a clad coin will weigh 5.67 grams.

HH,
65GT350
 
I far as I know there is NO silver "P" quarters. All the state quarters that were made silver have a "S" mint mark.

Jason
 
Thank you for replying.
Golden Silver: Definately not a two toned edge. But I am not hearing any bells.
65GT350: It must be plated. Thank you. I am still going to bring it to work tomorrow to secretly weigh it . :)
 
A simple and foolproof test is to clank it against a known clad coin. If it is silver you will hear that familiar "clink" sound that silver coins make. If it does not make that sound it is not silver.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom