Newhouse 5 Bear Trap, any experts out there?

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picked up this great trap at a flea market for $125 today. How bad is it to not have the original chain? Should I just sell as is? Thanks for any advice! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558210085.623490.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you can find a period chain, seems selling with out the chain is your only option. How much are the going for with a chain? I've seen antique bear traps in antique shops before with prices I believe we're around a grand or more. Are you sure this one you have isn't a modern re-pop. ? Those are out there also because they make for a good cabin collectible decor, which in my area is a pretty popular design in all the log homes here in the Rocky Mountains. I'm saying that because that rust, just doesn't look like true honest rust to me.

crashcar95

Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't quite make out all the markings from your picture.
Oneida Victor are still in business in Cleveland, and make still make the No. 5 at 450.00 plus shipping.
The pan will say Cleveland on it, and I would guess yours is older, pre-1976.
There are books on these old traps, however, for a quick look Fur-Fish-Game has a recurring series on old traps and they are on-line.
Search furfishgame Newhouse bear traps and furfishgame beware of fakes.
I can't seem to copy the links, but a quote is pasted below.

From around 1895 to 1911, Newhouse bear traps had S. Newhouse Oneida Community N.Y in raised letters on the pan; they were built in sizes No. 6, No. 5, No. 15, No. 50 and No. 150. From 1911 through 1925, S. Newhouse Oneida Community N.Y PAT. Sept 26-1911 appeared in raised letters on the pans, and collectors refer to these as the patent date model; they were made in all of the same sizes.

In 1925, Oneida sold the trap-making division to Animal Trap Company of America, Lititz, PA, where the Newhouse bear traps were continued in limited production through 1976. The raised letter pan now read Oneida Newhouse Reg.U.S. Pat. Off. Made in U.S.A., Animal Trap Co. Lititz, PA; they were made in sizes No. 6, No. 5, No.15, No. 50 and No. 150.

The value of Newhouse bear traps varies greatly, but all are collectible. Condition and knowing that the parts are original is of most importance when buying these traps. A good No. 6 Slick Pan could bring $8,000 while a No. 5 or No. 15 might fetch up to $800.

Hope this helps.

crashcar95

Dec 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked again at your picture.
From what I can tell the pan says Kenwood, NY
This quote from the article that I didn't past in applies, I think"

"The pan on No. 5 traps made from 1895 to 1905 reads S. Newhouse Kenwood N.Y. At the same time, Oneida also made the No. 15, which is the same as a No. 5 but with offset jaws exposing the teeth between the jaws; two smaller bear traps, the No. 50 and 150, also went into production. During the Kenwood era, for a very short span, Oneida Community built a No. 25 and a No. 35, called the Newhouse Self Setting Bear Trap. It was not well received by trappers and was only on the market for a short time; these are very rare and prized by today’s trap collectors."

A Newhouse No. 5 Kenwood stamped with no chain sold, according to Worthpoint, for 429.40.

I would say you made a great buy!

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks!. It is a Kenwood NY variety. Been touched up with gold paint but the real deal. Marked Rome on the springs as well. Will update the thread when I sell it! Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
B

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some more pics and size compared to my hand (I’m 6’3” and it makes my hands look small)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558381897.212502.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558381909.112383.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1558381919.164535.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those traps aint cheap

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread