News on GPS

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_jokercolor: Most of us men would rather use memory,or a map,rather than let a little female voice tell us where to go. But I am not talking about the car attatched "Tom-Tom",or "Garvin" on the dashboard. I am talking ---Handheld GPS--
Is anyone familiar with handheld GPS? Can you use it to locate a site you have researched on an old map ?
Can you mark location of your latest find ? Or Mark (In an unfamiliar site )the location of where you left your vehicle so you can find your way back .?..LOL,,,I know I would not want to admit it but if I had a GPS.....That is one thing I would use it for LOL.
Lastly.........Since I am an (Older Soldier... :tard:.....quite familiar with the Map & Compass )But very unfamiliar with the handheld GPS.
I am doing the research this winter about Handheld GPS,and would like to use it for the things I mentioned above.
I could probably give up as much as $400-$500.......To own one,but I don't want to have to pay a subscription fee,nor would I want to have to buy a (Software---set of Maps) I would like it self contained with a set of maps,2008 or newer,that I could { Don't TELL my Wife},,,use to drive by as well.
I am NOW looking at Garmins Vista & Legend GPS,& thinking maybe I should get the TOPO maps as well.........ANY Ideas on that ? I am sure I will have more questions ,as soon as some of these are answered.
Thanks for any HELP.... :icon_scratch:

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
*Ground Hawk*--*Minelab Quattro*--*Tesoro Tejon*
Check out the "DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-40" as it is perfect for Metal Detecting etc. & is one of the best deals out there for the price and what comes with it.It is the only GPS that Displays aerial imagery which is perfect for metal detecting as You can scan & zoom just like "Google Earth" looking for old roads etc. that all the other manufacturers GPS's cannot do.Amazon.com has it for $309.00.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Holy crap Freeze, that thing is the best GPS I've seen so far, and the reviews support it! That is what i've been looking for, and I'm glad I wandered into the GPS forum to post "What's a good handheld GPS?"! Thanks for your help with a premade answer!!

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
jrsherman said:
Holy crap Freeze, that thing is the best GPS I've seen so far, and the reviews support it! That is what i've been looking for, and I'm glad I wandered into the GPS forum to post "What's a good handheld GPS?"! Thanks for your help with a premade answer!!
You are welcome as I did a lot of research and am in the process of ordering this GPS unit.I found a web site that will match the price that Amazon has and I do not have to pay NewYork State sales tax like I would have to do if purchasing from Amazon.

OP
OP
AmericanCoinHunting

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
freeze12 said:
jrsherman said:
You are welcome as I did a lot of research and am in the process of ordering this GPS unit.I found a web site that will match the price that Amazon has and I do not have to pay NewYork State sales tax like I would have to do if purchasing from Amazon.
Too bad nobody answered this post by January 1st. I bought a Garmin Etrex Legend CX...That was just delivered today..............In fact I opened the box minuites before checking my email.
Thanks Anyway

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
freeze12 said:
Check out the "DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-40" as it is perfect for Metal Detecting etc. & is one of the best deals out there for the price and what comes with it.It is the only GPS that Displays aerial imagery which is perfect for metal detecting as You can scan & zoom just like "Google Earth" looking for old roads etc. that all the other manufacturers GPS's cannot do.Amazon.com has it for $309.00.

Thanks a lot!???? Just when I was running out of money, you had to make that post about ANOTHER essential item! ;-}

My Earthmate arrives in 2 days.

freeze12

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo,NY
Detector(s) used
freeze12 said:
I ordered My "DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-40" today from Amazon.com and got it for..get this..$279.00 plus tax as Amazon gave it to Me for an additional $30.00 off as i called cust. service & I admit I buy a lot from Amazon.com and was given the great additional discount.tthe GPS will "should" arrive to Me by Monday!! :icon_sunny:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Lemme know how that thing works out for you Freeze, I seriously am thinking about it!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread