What's new

Next winters heat.

delnorter

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
920
Reaction score
2,341
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to start making next winters firewood. Little jag of tanoak and Madrone. Sawed, split and stacked it will be well cure by fall. Heats ya a few times before you burn it.
9AF47913-CBB5-438B-A6EE-C28EDEA31719.webp
 
I'm with ya. Oak, maple, ash. There's a certain satisfaction seeing a big pile of stacked wood.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20210726_180542.webp
    IMG_20210726_180542.webp
    201.9 KB · Views: 53
I have three ash trees that the ash borer infestation killed. Each about 2 ft dia at knee level. Dropped them (successfully!) without smushing the barn or living trees nearby last month. Now I have my work cut-out in sectioning, splitting and stacking them. Sure will cut down on the fuel oil next winter!

We can heat house & water with an oil or wood boiler system. Thank you original home owner! Just added a breaker interlock and outdoor connector box for a 7000W gas generator that can run the house electric in the event of power outages (common out here).
 
Nice job on threading the needle falling those trees Charlie. I’m not familiar with ash personally, but I understand it’s a good firewood.

Sounds like a good versatile home you have to cover normal economic living as well as events that require alternate methods.

I use wood for heating with backup kerosine stove and kerosine hot water heater. Generators for essentials when the power goes out, which is not uncommon, due to storms, here in the pacific northwest.
Mike
 
I wish you lived close we just had some maples removed and could have given all the wood to you
Be safe chopping your wood my friend
 
Guy near me is getting $75/face cord for split dead ash, cuts it down in the river flood plain during winter. I like burning it, he lets me load up my pickup bed full of 17” logs for $50/load. Have a big pile of green locust logs to split, otherwise I’m usually burning red oak from my property.
 
Nice start! I need to get at it myself. I have a wood boiler that eats 12-15 cord a season. Heats this old farm house really well but man does it ever kick me in the ass keeping up with it sometimes.
 
Yes crash bandicoot, I too burn some maple, a lot of the big leaf variety here. Never burned hickory.

Thanks Bill, dry maple is some pretty good firewood.

Wow fistfuladirt, that’s a fantastic price for any good firewood. If you’ve the room for it I’d load up on more than you need for this season. I’ve a feeling things are going to really get bad this summer.

I hear you on the ass kicking job of burning wood Ohiogoldfever. I’ve burned wood for heat my entire life, even at home as a child. Always just chopped by hand until a few years ago, then bought a wood splitter. What a work saver this has been. Should have done it years ago. If I’ve nice straight gained stuff I still enjoy hand splitting. Keeps all the parts moving the way they should.😉
Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom