What's new

Nic-a-date

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
2,074
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you feelings about using nic-a-date on dateless buffalos? Just tried one and found a 1919D which is better than most common buffs. Either opinion for or against?
 
Upvote 0
Seen the results here on t-net from using nic-a-date... looks like a good product.
 
I believe most would want a buffalo with a date vs. one without one. If you can maintain the overall integrity of the coin it is worth it. I wish there was something for silver.

Golden Silver
 
How does that stuff work? I have heard about it. I have some dateless Buffalos I have had for years, I may try it on them just for fun.

Jim
 
Bottle is about $4. You put a drop where the date is and let it sit. The liquid starts to get dark and a date appears. Works in about 2-3 minutes. Leaves the area shiney though so you know its been done. But is see it this way. If you get a key date it will be worth more than what a dateless one is worth.
 
I use it, why not. what's a dateless one worth. It also helps put a set together and then they can be replaced as you get replacements.
 
I just learned something new today

DW
 
Most old timer collectors will tell ya it will ruin the coin even though you brought out the date. But IMO a dateless buffalo is worth .25 cents on average it's not like a morgan dollar I'm for one is all for it.
 
I soak them in vinegar. Slower but will give the coin an even tone. It beats a dateless coin anytime.

Maine_Jim
 
I know this is probably a stupid question but does nic a date work at least somewhat on cents, is there another way to improve your chances of making out the date on a wheat?
 
sir said:
I know this is probably a stupid question but does nic a date work at least somewhat on cents, is there another way to improve your chances of making out the date on a wheat?

Sorry, it does not work on wheats. If the wheat you are trying is worn there is no help for it. If the Wheat has corrosion on it the best bet to help that is EVO(extra virgin olive oil). soak the pennies over night and they will look better in the morning.

Jason
 
i use the hot taco sause on wheats. i always get a few extra packs when i go into taco bell. it works for me but i know many would not care to use it.
 
silvercop said:
i use the hot taco sause on wheats. i always get a few extra packs when i go into taco bell. it works for me but i know many would not care to use it.
Is that to find the date out or for the corrosion
 
I've used it many times. I leave it for 5 minutes and then do it again for 5 more if the date isn't really clear. Here are some before and after pics (actually just an after pic, imagine a completely slick nickel as the before pic). It also works on mint marks.

I've restored some and sold on eBay for good $. One went for more than $10. That's not ruining a coin in my book.

I thought it might be fun to get a sack of dateless nickels and try to fill up a whole folder with restored dates.

JasonB
 

Attachments

  • 1917 Buff Close.webp
    1917 Buff Close.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 613
  • 1917 Buff Close.webp
    1917 Buff Close.webp
    5.7 KB · Views: 584
Shake-N-Bake said:
sir said:
I know this is probably a stupid question but does nic a date work at least somewhat on cents, is there another way to improve your chances of making out the date on a wheat?

Sorry, it does not work on wheats. If the wheat you are trying is worn there is no help for it. If the Wheat has corrosion on it the best bet to help that is EVO(extra virgin olive oil). soak the pennies over night and they will look better in the morning.

Jason

I agree. I got a nearly slick Indian Head penny in a box. It was 188?. I tried the nick a date and it ruined it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom