What's new

Nice Colonial Star Button & More Recent Finds

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last week, I returned to a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley that has been very good to me. I've found a number of nice colonial and 19th century relics there - including a 1/000 1801 LC, tombacs and shoe buckles. But the site is rather difficult to hunt due to the fact it's surrounded by electric livestock fence. It drives all of my detectors crazy. Also, there's lots of iron. Nonetheless, the AT Pro continues to amaze me. I hit a little knoll where most of the relics have been found and which I've pounded before. We had about 2" of rain this week and the ground was ideal for signals. I was there about 2 hours and found several nice horse related buckles and the items below. The star patterned button is amazing. The photo doesn't really do it justice. Any additional info on that pattern would be appreciated. I thought at first it might be military, but probably not. The second grouping is from a Civil War site I hunted a week ago. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • colonial trio.webp
    colonial trio.webp
    330.1 KB · Views: 163
  • colonial butttons 4-15.webp
    colonial butttons 4-15.webp
    296.9 KB · Views: 148
  • colonial star button.webp
    colonial star button.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 160
  • jgd 4-15.webp
    jgd 4-15.webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 16
Nice going on the button and lead. Does the electric fence also plays havoc with the Deus?
 
Nice going on the button and lead. Does the electric fence also plays havoc with the Deus?

I've only used the Deus there once, but yes, it also interferes. It does seem to do a "little" better with the interference though. But I believe the AT Pro, if you know the machine, can go head to head with the Deus in iron when using the 5x8 coil.
 
Stony i just realized this was you!You changed your name....That button is a beauty..

~Blaze~
 
That button is a stunner and I've got a piece of shoe buckle very similar to that. Looks like a great old spot
 
That button is a beauty Richard and nice CW lead is nice as well. WTG, Q.
 
Stony i just realized this was you!You changed your name....That button is a beauty..

~Blaze~

Hey JB - thanks! Yeah, had to change my name to stay one step ahead of them durn revenuers. :laughing7:
 
That button is a stunner and I've got a piece of shoe buckle very similar to that. Looks like a great old spot

Ahab - thanks. Yes, like I said, I've pounded this one area (about 40'x60') and was surprised to pull these three relics out yesterday. The moist soil and just slowing down and listening very carefully made a real difference.
 
Nice Colonial Star Button & More Recent Finds

That Star button is a beautiful one. I know what you mean about the electric fence. Underground dog fences are another ATP killer. Every once in awhile I run into an old transformer that will make you lose your religion too. I laughed at JB cause I want to call you Stonewall every time I see you post.
Beautiful lead...you have some nice examples of CW bullets there.
 
Last edited:
Ahab - thanks. Yes, like I said, I've pounded this one area (about 40'x60') and was surprised to pull these three relics out yesterday. The moist soil and just slowing down and listening very carefully made a real difference.
Slowing down makes all the difference! I went into turtle mode in a spot that my buddy had just detected through. I pulled 32 colonial buttons, 2 coppers and a shoe buckle. These hot spots are a lot easier to miss than folks realize
 
That Star button is a beautiful one. I know what you mean about the electric fence. Underground dog fences are another ATP killer. Every once in awhile I run into an old transformer that will make you lose your religion too. I laughed at JB cause I want to call you Stonewall every time I see you post.
Beautiful lead...you have some nice examples of CW bullets there.

Thanks OD. When I first registered, I went through several screen name tries that I wanted - all were taken. "Old Stonewall" was kind of a fallback name. "Valley Rangers" was the name of the unit that mustered out of my hometown of Waynesboro, so I thought it suited me better. Yes, that Williams cleaner was the first one I'd ever found. It's in perfect condition.
 
Slowing down makes all the difference! I went into turtle mode in a spot that my buddy had just detected through. I pulled 32 colonial buttons, 2 coppers and a shoe buckle. These hot spots are a lot easier to miss than folks realize

"These hot spots are a lot easier to miss than folks realize" Yes, I'm learning that finally. I don't know if I can get back this spring, the grass was almost too high this time. Might have to wait until fall.
 
As said by others that Star Button is real nice indeed, CONGRATS !!!!! I look forward to see what else you pull out from there on your next visit :thumbsup:
 
As said by others that Star Button is real nice indeed, CONGRATS !!!!! I look forward to see what else you pull out from there on your next visit :thumbsup:

Thanks Bubba!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom