Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
With my friend Evan visiting from the west coast, I decided to take him to my new site that has produced a ton of late 1600s to mid 1700s artifacts recently. This place has been pounded by me and my other hunting buddies, plus the weeds and ridiculously tall clover has taken over most of the site, but this was our only option this late in the season. Yesterday there were surprisingly a fair number of signals to be heard, but you had to work hard for them. But then out of the blue I was able to walk over a nice mid tone that had somehow been missed before, and to my astonishment a gorgeous little cut pistareen came to light. And this one had the rarely seen "aqueduct" mint mark which identified it as having come from the mint in Segovia, Spain, in the 1720s. It was in very nice shape too, and was only the 2nd colonial coin to be recovered from this otherwise very productive site. I also found a few other items including a nice looking watch winder, a keyhole cover monogrammed with an "F", and what may be a small brass wedding ring that appears to have been resized based on the solder mark on the inside of the band.

Here's a little side story. Near the end of the hunt it kept feeling like I had a rock in my boot, but I couldn't seem to dislodge it. I decided to just leave it until I got home, and when I later went to remove my boot I noticed a rather large and very rusty nail sticking out from the bottom which was totally unknown to me. When I pulled it out I saw that a little over an inch of it had been lodged into the boot, and was pushing up through the sole. Fortunately it did not penetrate the skin so guess I'll survive. I can't imagine where I picked it up. I've dug in literally hundreds of pits and privies loaded with all kinds of rusty iron and can't ever remember getting stuck like that. Very strange!

Attachments

• 032317a.jpg
    032317a.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 032317b1.jpg
    032317b1.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 032317b2.jpg
    032317b2.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 032317b3.jpg
    032317b3.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 032317c.jpg
    032317c.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 032317d.jpg
    032317d.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 032317e.jpg
    032317e.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 032317f.jpg
    032317f.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 032317g.jpg
    032317g.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 032317h.jpg
    032317h.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 33

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one crisp pistareen Bill. Huge congrats man... and that's you're first Segovia piece too, right? (or at least ID able with the mint slice) That piece of silver took quite the journey from the mint here https://goo.gl/maps/LQ2rhvN6nm12 all the way over to the colonies.

I really like that watch winder too. I'm also impressed at your new nail collecting method... I haven't tried that one yet and I typically use a magnet to collect them :laughing7:

Excellent hunt and post man.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding pistareen Bill-they don't come out of the ground any better than that. Oh and stop giving Brad nail-removing ideas; he may not be up-to-date on his tetanus shot :laughing7:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the oval-shaped relic in the first picture?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. About time somebody in Virginia proves cut silver are still out there :tongue3: My only cut Pistareen is from Segovia as well

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding pistareen Bill-they don't come out of the ground any better than that. Oh and stop giving Brad nail-removing ideas; he may not be up-to-date on his tetanus shot :laughing7:

hahaha. Funny you say that Glenn, because with all my pit digging in glass and nails, last year I realized my tetanus shot was out of date. Rather than waste time going to get a new one, a good family friend of ours is a nurse, so she brought me one home from work. So next time I was over I got my tetanus shot in the kitchen :laughing7: So I'm good for another 10 years of getting jabbed by rusty nails and glass.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds,glad you didn't hurt yourself.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. About time somebody in Virginia proves cut silver are still out there :tongue3: My only cut Pistareen is from Segovia as well

Oh, they're out there .... everywhere (if you know where to look). This is my 88th cut piece - all from the Old Dominion.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A beautiful slice of Spain right there, and really fine looking assortment of other finds. Great write up as well; I'm looking forward to your book.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow the detail is incredibly sharp on that Bill. Some really nice finds from a hammered site.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the super old silver. On my bucket list for sure. You may need to retrace your hunt as you were probably getting iron masking signals every other step from your nail collecting boot...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Bill. well done as usual.

The silver is sharp as a tack. I like that watch winder, never seen one quite like that.

Good luck!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds!

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my friend Evan visiting from the west coast, I decided to take him to my new site that has produced a ton of late 1600s to mid 1700s artifacts recently. This place has been pounded by me and my other hunting buddies, plus the weeds and ridiculously tall clover has taken over most of the site, but this was our only option this late in the season. Yesterday there were surprisingly a fair number of signals to be heard, but you had to work hard for them. But then out of the blue I was able to walk over a nice mid tone that had somehow been missed before, and to my astonishment a gorgeous little cut pistareen came to light. And this one had the rarely seen "aqueduct" mint mark which identified it as having come from the mint in Segovia, Spain, in the 1720s. It was in very nice shape too, and was only the 2nd colonial coin to be recovered from this otherwise very productive site. I also found a few other items including a nice looking watch winder, a keyhole cover monogrammed with an "F", and what may be a small brass wedding ring that appears to have been resized based on the solder mark on the inside of the band.

Here's a little side story. Near the end of the hunt it kept feeling like I had a rock in my boot, but I couldn't seem to dislodge it. I decided to just leave it until I got home, and when I later went to remove my boot I noticed a rather large and very rusty nail sticking out from the bottom which was totally unknown to me. When I pulled it out I saw that a little over an inch of it had been lodged into the boot, and was pushing up through the sole. Fortunately it did not penetrate the skin so guess I'll survive. I can't imagine where I picked it up. I've dug in literally hundreds of pits and privies loaded with all kinds of rusty iron and can't ever remember getting stuck like that. Very strange!

that thing in your 6th picture, ifound one identical in a early 1700 site

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice cut pistereen bud. That keyhole cover is mighty nice as well. Excellent snags - it's amazing what sometimes kicks up from well-hunted sites!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread