Nice surprise with the disc on the Outlaw...

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I had some time to take the new Outlaw out of the box, put the coils together in their lower rods and do some air testing indoors.

There is just a little interference from something in the house, so the depths may not reflect the maximum potential... Don't know. I did follow the instructions, turning her on while in all metal auto, adjusting the GB pot as instructed and so forth, pressed the retune button with the coil in the air and away from anything, etc..

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Outlaw will disc out a copper penny and a clad dime and still detect a SILVER dime, as well as clad/silver quarters. Well that's kinda neat, I said to myself. Now the depth on the silver dime with that level of disc was not all that impressive, four to five inches, the quarters were clearly five maybe six inches, but that's with the high disc. Not that I would ever think of hunting for just shallow silver like that 8-)!

Putting the disc down to a more reasonable level, just at foil, my air tests on the dimes, both clad and silver were 7 to 7 1/2 inches with both the 8" doughnut and 8 x 11 RSD coils. I actually liked the 8" doughnut better, it had a clearer faint tone on the dimes at the edge of detection depth. I could not get a quarter at 10" with either coil, a faint 9" yes, but not 10, perhaps I would get better results out doors with less interference as I could not turn the sensitivity all the way up without getting a lot of chatter ( max sensitivity was 10 )

Still, 7 to 9 inches depth on dimes and quarters is plenty enough depth for me... Hard to imagine I will get bored, digging 7-9 inch wholes, at least, not at the places I hunt.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That high disc discriminating thing is neat...my Vaq or Compadre won't do that.
Probably comes in handy in pop top infested sites, using concentric coils not a major problem with mine but using a DD coil on the Vaq it isn't tough to tell what most of these things are it just takes a few more seconds to figure them out.
I assume the Outlaw with a DD coil it is easier.
Hunting with Tesoros are fun...I manipulate the disc knob on every target up past the fade out point and then down and listen to how targets come in which seems more accurate and efficient for me compared to just turning it up to the fade out point.
I got very fast at this over the years with much practice and making educated guesses about targets before I dig them is a big part of the fun for me...especially when I am right.
They also find great stuff and the Vaq is crazy deep under certain situations so I assume the Outlaw is too.
Air tests are one thing, I found in the field results are even better most of the time.
Have fun!

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
That high disc discriminating thing is neat...my Vaq or Compadre won't do that.
Probably comes in handy in pop top infested sites, using concentric coils not a major problem with mine but using a DD coil on the Vaq it isn't tough to tell what most of these things are it just takes a few more seconds to figure them out.
I assume the Outlaw with a DD coil it is easier.
Hunting with Tesoros are fun...I manipulate the disc knob on every target up past the fade out point and then down and listen to how targets come in which seems more accurate and efficient for me compared to just turning it up to the fade out point.
I got very fast at this over the years with much practice and making educated guesses about targets before I dig them is a big part of the fun for me...especially when I am right.
They also find great stuff and the Vaq is crazy deep under certain situations so I assume the Outlaw is too.
Air tests are one thing, I found in the field results are even better most of the time.
Have fun!

Thank you, I appreciate the insights.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup pretty cool feature that high disc. I have pulled lots of silver " stuff " in that range.
Make sure you have the Auto switch in Auto all metal when turing the Outlaw on. I think you will be suprised by the Outlaw when you get it out in the field. The Airtest don't seem to sevre it well, my field results have produced some deepish targets. Find a nice well watered park with mild soil and you will find the deep stuff, even with the disc set high.
Cherry picking with the Outlaw is so much fun, its like playing the slot machines.

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
How does the Outlaw do with gold jewelry, especially rings? Can it be set up to give a weaker or broken signal on most pull tabs but still give a nice mellow round tone on rings?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I know on both my units all sizes of gold doesn't seem to be a problem from small to large so I assume the Outlaw is the same.
I can tell you that the way I do it 95% of the tabs I come across do not come in solid as I swing over them and dial down but are broken with many clicks before they firm up as a lot of trash will do.
Not all of them, not all types of trash either but over the years after digging thousands of targets I rarely dig any targets nowadays unless they just come in full and solid as I dial down to that fade in point...exceptions would be if they just sounded extra good which I always dig noise or not.
Not saying I don't miss stuff this way but I don't have the patience, energy or time to dig a ton of trash like I used to and surprisingly this high percentage method of mine enables me to cut out digging about 80% of the trash I used to dig while my good target volumes for coins and jewelry still soared.
This is on the bulk of the targets I find which range from 6" depth or less...usually less, deeper targets can and sometimes do act differently.
As far as rings, I assume you are referring to gold in the tab area but I also find a lot in the nickel and especially the foil area too, I have found about 3 dozen gold targets in the dirt in 6 seasons and they were all 5" or less in depth including 5 large heavy men's class rings.
Every one was a solid, smooth repeating signal from all ways and on my Tesoros came in clear and solid as I dialed down to the fade in point every time which is why I dug them.
One thing about Tesoros in my experience is how gold sounds.
Using Tesoros, or any other one of my detectors for that matter, I have never noticed a difference in the signal or tone on all my smaller rings from foil to tabs from any other good targets like coins...they were all solid, repeatable good dig me signals and I was surprised on every one.
I have dug two of those large men's gold class rings in my career with my Tesoros...one each with my Compadre and Vaq and let me tell you out of all the targets I have dug over the years with any detector these two were the most unique experience and tones I have ever had or heard.
The first time it happened was with my Compadre and I didn't realize what it was at the time.
I got a solid, clear as a bell, mellow sweet sustaining tone that I knew was different never remembered hearing before that disced out/in at the 3:00 zinc area like just about every other zincoln I have ever come across in the past.
Without any other experience I remember noticing this was a different and unfamiliar tone but I still thought I was digging up just another zincoln.
When a big gold ring came up instead I was surprised and thrilled as always.
Several months later I was using my Vaq in a completely different park and I heard that unique sound again.
Don't know how or why I remembered it, it was months before and I only heard that sound one time but evidently it somehow got into my ears, brain and DNA because the instant I heard it I stopped in my tracks and got rocked back on my heels while my jaw dropped...I kid you not because I still remember it like it happened 5 minutes ago.
This was the only time in my life I ever knew 100% that I was swinging over gold before I bent over to open a hole and knew it was a big one.
The only time.
This is now my holy grail sound that I listen for every time I use a Tesoro to hunt and my wish is to hear it many more times before I hang up this hobby but even hearing that beautiful tone just one more time in my life would make me deliriously happy...it was just that shockingly different and so, so sweet.
My wish is everyone that swings a Tesoro could hear that sound at least once in their career, more than once if they are crazy lucky like me.
The funny thing was about these rings is they were exactly the same from the same high school with the same stone just one year's difference and one size different too.
Love this school...evidently the kids at this one have problems holding onto their jewelry...lucky for me.

I hope you listen to enough signals to learn to know them well and then one day run across one of these big gold targets so you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

Attachments

• ring 2-3.jpg
    ring 2-3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When using Tesoro detectors I can almost always tell when I have a gold ring under my search coil, because it's more of a solid audio sound than what a pull tab makes. Pull tabs sound a little more tinny and less mellow. I still dig pull tabs because I don't mess anything.

tabman

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all for the replies, perhaps the tabs sound differently in the ground... Doing air tests, I cannot make the gold and the tabs sound any different from each other.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know on both my units all sizes of gold doesn't seem to be a problem from small to large so I assume the Outlaw is the same.
I can tell you that the way I do it 95% of the tabs I come across do not come in solid as I swing over them and dial down but are broken with many clicks before they firm up as a lot of trash will do.
Not all of them, not all types of trash either but over the years after digging thousands of targets I rarely dig any targets nowadays unless they just come in full and solid as I dial down to that fade in point...exceptions would be if they just sounded extra good which I always dig noise or not.
Not saying I don't miss stuff this way but I don't have the patience, energy or time to dig a ton of trash like I used to and surprisingly this high percentage method of mine enables me to cut out digging about 80% of the trash I used to dig while my good target volumes for coins and jewelry still soared.
This is on the bulk of the targets I find which range from 6" depth or less...usually less, deeper targets can and sometimes do act differently.
As far as rings, I assume you are referring to gold in the tab area but I also find a lot in the nickel and especially the foil area too, I have found about 3 dozen gold targets in the dirt in 6 seasons and they were all 5" or less in depth including 5 large heavy men's class rings.
Every one was a solid, smooth repeating signal from all ways and on my Tesoros came in clear and solid as I dialed down to the fade in point every time which is why I dug them.
One thing about Tesoros in my experience is how gold sounds.
Using Tesoros, or any other one of my detectors for that matter, I have never noticed a difference in the signal or tone on all my smaller rings from foil to tabs from any other good targets like coins...they were all solid, repeatable good dig me signals and I was surprised on every one.
I have dug two of those large men's gold class rings in my career with my Tesoros...one each with my Compadre and Vaq and let me tell you out of all the targets I have dug over the years with any detector these two were the most unique experience and tones I have ever had or heard.
The first time it happened was with my Compadre and I didn't realize what it was at the time.
I got a solid, clear as a bell, mellow sweet sustaining tone that I knew was different never remembered hearing before that disced out/in at the 3:00 zinc area like just about every other zincoln I have ever come across in the past.
Without any other experience I remember noticing this was a different and unfamiliar tone but I still thought I was digging up just another zincoln.
When a big gold ring came up instead I was surprised and thrilled as always.
Several months later I was using my Vaq in a completely different park and I heard that unique sound again.
Don't know how or why I remembered it, it was months before and I only heard that sound one time but evidently it somehow got into my ears, brain and DNA because the instant I heard it I stopped in my tracks and got rocked back on my heels while my jaw dropped...I kid you not because I still remember it like it happened 5 minutes ago.
This was the only time in my life I ever knew 100% that I was swinging over gold before I bent over to open a hole and knew it was a big one.
The only time.
This is now my holy grail sound that I listen for every time I use a Tesoro to hunt and my wish is to hear it many more times before I hang up this hobby but even hearing that beautiful tone just one more time in my life would make me deliriously happy...it was just that shockingly different and so, so sweet.
My wish is everyone that swings a Tesoro could hear that sound at least once in their career, more than once if they are crazy lucky like me.
The funny thing was about these rings is they were exactly the same from the same high school with the same stone just one year's difference and one size different too.
Love this school...evidently the kids at this one have problems holding onto their jewelry...lucky for me.

I hope you listen to enough signals to learn to know them well and then one day run across one of these big gold targets so you will understand exactly what I am talking about.

Wow I can't wait to hear that tone to know what you mean.
I've never been good at words to describe sounds. It's like telling someone to describe in words their best feeling ever. Can't truly describe it. Just have to live it.
Still waiting for that day, sir. I do t even have any gold to test my machines with. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread