nice winters take of red fox

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
From l to r... granddad, great granddad, and uncle. These old boys could hunt, and the way they did it was for the books.
If you'll notice they all used shotguns, hence very limited range. No camo, just used their heads.
They would drive a section, (any Iowa farm boy knows a section is a square mile) and look for a sleeping fox on the southwest side of a hill. (sun was best there for an after noon nap) Not hard to see in the snow. Then, with the wind in their face and using whatever cover was available they put on the sneak until within range. This was not easy. The wind could and would shift. The fox is a light napper. Sometimes the snow would be crusty in spots and that made for noise.
Anyway they loved it. Granddad was my boyhood hero, heck still is. Hunter, fisherman, all round sportsman.
Though he has been gone for many a year, he is still much missed.
Still chasing fox I bet.

DSC00038.jpg

Have a safe hunting season all.
BW

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
:o That's more Fox than I've seen in my entire life!

That's from one day's hunting? Or a season's worth of furs?

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Yea it is nice reflecting back to the people no longer with us and remembering all the fun times.

Sasnz

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Did they ever hunt coyotes too? That was the bigger thing where I grew up. Hunt em with greyhounds, and later started using airplanes too. It was a big thing, but I think the Oklahoma legislature outlawed the airplane thing. Also, you could sell the hides,when there was a fur market.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Back in their day (30's -50's) there were no coyotes in Iowa, or very few anyway. Now in a lot of places the coyote have displaced the red fox. They will kill fox whenever they can, as they are competitors for the same groceries.
Not a days' worth (that would be a feat) this was a seasons' worth. Take a close look, these had already been skinned and stretched. Dead of winter prime fox fur was a fairly valuable commodity.
Thanks for your remarks.

BW

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Ahh, ok, I thought they looked stretched and done, but I keep hearing how all things are bigger in Texas, so I wasn't sure. :P

Fox fur had a relatively high price when I was a kid, don't know what it is now. We just never saw any when we were busting through the brush like elephants.

I've seen a couple that were dashing off the roadway, some footprints in the snow, and that's it.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awsome pic , I remember as a kid we had a mink farm down the road an pics like that of nuthin but minks .

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great 'Old Pic', thanks for sharing, my Uncle hunted fox & coyotes for years, but only for the 'sport' of hearing the hounds giving chase.
They would build a campfire, fix a huge'washpot' full of coffee, then swap stories, & maybe a few 'lies'. LOL

Fossis...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions