Nickel Questions

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of new to CRH. Started about 5 months ago by searching for copper pennies and now it's grown to searching just about everything. Concerning nickels though, some people have said they keep everything 1960 and older. Why 1960? What is the signifigance of that year? And what about 2004's? I understand there is a doubled die error or something like that. What exactly is the error and where do I look to see if a nickel has the error?

Upvote 0
I'm kind of new to CRH. Started about 5 months ago by searching for copper pennies and now it's grown to searching just about everything. Concerning nickels though, some people have said they keep everything 1960 and older. Why 1960? What is the signifigance of that year? And what about 2004's? I understand there is a doubled die error or something like that. What exactly is the error and where do I look to see if a nickel has the error?

I keep pre 1960 nickels because I collect coins, and it doesn't tie up to much of my money. War nickels are put in a different container. I don't know of any errors for 2004 coins, but I look for the 2005 error bison coins. http://errorcoins.auctivacommerce.c...-Gouge-Mint-Error-Extremely-Rare-P563694.aspx

Thanks for the info. Ive been keeping all 1963 and earlier but I'm thinkg maybe 1960 is better. Too many 61's to 63's stacking up.

I was keeping the pre 60 nicks for a while but finally decided to just dump them. Some people have been able to sell them at a slight premium, and that's what I was thinking but they were starting to take up too much space and I just quit. I got a dansko album which I've been working on filling so I still keep an eye out for the older nicks in great shape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back